Delaware state government salary
Delaware state government salaries for teachers are made available online by the Delaware State Education Association for 2012. For other state workers, only older data exists.
According to 2008 U.S. Census data, the state of Delaware employed a total of 31,994 people. Of those employees, 23,424 were full-time employees receiving net pay of $97,842,620 per month and 8,570 were part-time employees paid $12,035,914 per month. More than 39% of those employees were in education or higher education.
The 17,700 state employees not involved in education were slated for a pay freeze in FY 2012.
The following is a breakdown of state workers for 2011 from the Delaware Office of Management and Budget - Human Resource Management:
|Agency||Number of employees|
|Adv. Council for Except Citizens||3|
|Board of Parole||8|
|Commissioner of Elections||224|
|Criminal Justice Council||26|
|Economic and Development Office||41|
|Health and Social Services||4473|
|Natural Resources and Environmental Control||1387|
|Office of Management and Budget||421|
|Public Defender's Office||144|
|Safety and Homeland Security||3135|
|Services for Children, Youth and Their Families||1314|
|State Fire Marshall||62|
|State Fire Protection||1|
|State Housing Authority||20|
|Technology and Information||218|
- See also: Comparison of state legislative salaries
State executive salaries
- See also: Compensation of state executive officers
|Lieutenant Governor||$74,345||Matthew Denn|
|Secretary of State||$120,755||Jeffrey Bullock|
|Attorney General||$137,425||Beau Biden|
|Treasurer||$107,300||Chipman “Chip” Flowers Jr|
As of 2008, the salary of Delaware's governor ranked 23rd among U.S. governors' salaries. The average salary earned by U.S. governors was $128,735. The median salary earned by U.S. governors was $129,962.
|Chief Justice||$194,750||Myron Steele|
|Associate Justice||$185,050||Randy Holland|
|Associate Justice||$185,050||Carolyn Berger|
|Associate Justice||$185,050||Henry Ridgely|
|Associate Justice||$185,050||Jack Jacobs|
As of 2010, the salary of Delaware's chief justice ranked third among U.S. chief justices' salaries. The average salary earned by U.S. chief justices was $155,230. The median salary earned by U.S. chief justices was $151,284.
As of 2010, the salary of Delaware's associate justices ranked fifth among U.S. associate justices' salaries. The average salary earned by U.S. associate justices was $151,142. The median salary earned by U.S. associate justices was $145,984.
Gov. Jack Markell's FY 2011 budget included a $6,100, or 3.6%, raise for 18 associate judges on the bench in Superior Court, bringing their annual salaries to $174,950. Under this budget, Superior Court President Judge James T. Vaughn Jr.'s salary would have risen $2,100 to $185,750.
A 2010 bill signed by the governor changed the way job offers are made to teachers. Previously, districts were not guaranteed their full share of state funding for teacher salaries until the official September 30th student count was issued by the state. As a result, the state made most of its job offers in the late summer and early fall, after other states and other districts had made offers. The bill was the result of the Teacher Hiring Task Force created in 2010. The measure established an ‘estimated unit count’ for the state’s school districts in April of each school year. School districts are now guaranteed to receive funds for paying teachers in the following school year that are equal to 98% of the funds justified by the estimated unit count.
|Beginning teacher salary||Average salary|
Delaware state employees may choose among various health insurance plans, including a PPO plan, an HMO plan and a basic plan.
|Kind of insurance||Total monthly rate||State contribution||Employee contribution|
|Basic Plan Employee||$462.68||$462.88||$0|
|Basic Plan Employee & Spouse||$957.32||$957.32||$0|
|Basic Plan Employee & Child(ren)||$703.34||$703.34||$0|
|Basic Plan Family||$1,196.68||$1196.68||$0|
|Aetna HMO Employee||$485.34||$462.68||$22.66|
|Aetna HMO Employee & Spouse||$1,025.30||$957.32||$67.98|
|Aetna HMO Employee & Child(ren)||$742.94||$703.34||$39.60|
|Aetna HMO Family||$1,279.12||$1,196.68||$82.44|
|BlueCare HMO Employee||$485.78||$462.68||$23.10|
|BlueCare HMO Employee & Spouse||$1,028.88||$957.32||$71.56|
|BlueCare HMO Employee & Child(ren)||$743.76||$703.34||$40.42|
|BlueCare HMO Family||$1,283.44||$1,196.68||$86.76|
|Comprehensive PPO Employee||$535.58||$462.68||$72.90|
|Comprehensive PPO Employee & Spouse||$1,111.70||$957.32||$154.38|
|Comprehensive PPO Employee & Child(ren)||$826.52||$703.34||$123.18|
|Comprehensive PPO Family||$1,389.80||$1,196.68||$193.12|
Dental insurance is an option available to employees, but the state does not contribute.
Employees also receive group universal life and accidental death and dismemberment insurance.
Employees receive short-term disability and long-term disability insurance.
- Vision Insurance is available to full-time employees, part-time employees working a minimum of 15 hours per week and pensioners.
- Home/automobile insurance is available to full-time employees, part-time employees working a minimum of 15 hours per week and pensioners.
- Long-term care insurance is available to full-time employees, part-time employees working a minimum of 15 hours per week and pensioners.
- Group legal services are available to full-time employees, part-time employees working a minimum of 15 hours per week and pensioners.
- Pet insurance
Paid days off
Full-time, permanent employees of the State of Delaware received the following paid holidays in 2010::
- New Year's Day
- Martin Luther King, Jr.'s Birthday
- Good Friday
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Election Day
- Return Day
- Veteran’s Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Day after Thanksgiving
- Christmas Day
- See also: Delaware public pensions
The State of Delaware contributes to employee pension plans.
- Flexible Spending Account - Employees may contribute pre-tax dollars and then be reimbursed with it for either health care expenses or dependent care expenses, depending on the account.
- Pre-Tax Commuter Benefit
- Employee Assistance Program
- State of Delaware Workforce Demographics for Fiscal Year 2011
- "Delaware State Worker Pay Cut Fight: Part 2," June 10, 2009
- Delaware Current State Salaries 2010
- Highest-Paid State Employees
- Delaware state government employment opportunities
- Delaware State Police compensation and benefits
- Selected teacher salaries more than $100,000 annually
- Delaware Psychiatric Center employee salaries
- ↑ Delaware State Education Association - salaries
- ↑ 2008 Delaware Public Employment U.S. Census Data
- ↑ The News Journal "Budget calls for raises for 19 judges" Feb. 1, 2011
- ↑ Workforce Analysis 2011, State of Delaware Office of Management and Budget Human Resource Management office
- ↑ National Conference of State Legislators 2010 Legislator Compensation Data
- ↑ NCSL, 2012 Compensation Data, Accessed June 12, 2012
- ↑ The Council of State Governments The Book of States 2010 Table 4.3
- ↑ ‘‘The Council of State Governments,’’ “The Book of the States: 2008”
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 9.2 The National Center for State Courts, "Judicial Salary Resource Center" as of Jan. 1, 2010
- ↑ The News Journal "Budget calls for raises for 19 judges" Feb. 1, 2011
- ↑ Civic Source Online, Delaware reforms teacher hiring process, April 14, 2011
- ↑ [2011-01-01T00%3A00%3A00Z%20TO%202012-01-01T00%3A00%3A00Z
- ↑ Statewide Benefits Office - Group Medical Plans
- ↑ Health Rates
- ↑ Dental Rates
- ↑ Group Life Insurance
- ↑ Disability Insurance
- ↑ Supplemental Benefits
- ↑ State Holidays
- ↑ Flexible Spending Account
- ↑ Commuter Benefit
- ↑ Employee Assistance Program