|Alabama House of Representatives District 53|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 2, 2010|
|Bachelor's||Wilberforce University, 1949|
|J.D.||Boston University, 1952|
|Date of birth||March 15, 1928|
|Place of birth||Fairfield, AL|
Newton's professional experience includes working as a private practice attorney, attorney for the city of Birmingham and judge for the city of Brownville from 1972 to 1978. He served in the United States Army from 1952 to 1954.
Newton served on these committees in the 2011-2012 legislative session:
- Subcommittee on Constitutional Issues
- County and Municipal Government Committee, Alabama House of Representatives, Ranking Minority Member
- Subcommittee on Government Regulations (County and Municipal Government)
|Alabama House of Representatives, District 53 Democratic Primary (2010)|
|Demetrius Newton (D)||2,377|
|Anthony Johnson (D)||963|
Newton raised $71,620 for his campaign.
In 2010, Newton raised $100,992 in contributions.
His four largest contributors were:
|Alabama Education Association||$15,392|
|Alabama Optometric Association||$10,000|
In 2006, Newton collected $71,620 in donations.
Below are Newton's top 5 campaign contributors in the 2006 election:
|AL Education Assoc||$10,000|
|AL Assoc of Realtors||$5,000|
|Seth Hammett Campaign||$5,000|
|AL State Employees Assoc||$3,500|
Newton was divorced and had two children.
Newton was a member of 101 Black Men, Alabama Bar Association, American Bar Association, American Judicature Society, Mount Olive Baptist Church, National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, National Bar Association, Vulcan Gold Club, 33rd Degree Masons and the American Legion.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Demetrius + Newton + Alabama + House
- All stories may not be relevant to this legislator due to the nature of the search engine.
- Alabama State Legislature
- Alabama House of Representatives
- Alabama House Committees
- Alabama state legislative districts
- Profile from Open States
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Legislative Profile from Project Vote Smart
- Jefferson County Democrats
- Campaign contributions: 2010, 2008, 2006, 2002, 1998
- Demetrius Newton on Facebook
- "Al.com," "Rep. Demetrius Newton, first black pro tem in Alabama House, has died (updated)," accessed September 11, 2013
- "Al.com," "Ala. representative Demetrius Newton passes away," accessed September 11, 2013
- Alabama Secretary of State, "Democratic primary results and runoff candidates," June 11, 2010
- Alabama Secretary of State, "Official 2010 General election results," accessed July 18, 2014
- Alabama Secretary of State, "Official 2006 election results," accessed April 15, 2014
- Follow the Money, "Alabama House spending, 2006," November 4, 2006
- Follow the Money, "2010 contributions," accessed December 23, 2013
- Follow the Money, "2006 Campaign contributions," accessed November 19, 2014
- Project Vote Smart, "Biography," accessed November 19, 2014
|Alabama House District 53
| Succeeded by|
Anthony "Alann" Johnson (D)
State of Alabama
|State executive officers||
Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer| Auditor| Superintendent of Education| Commissioner of Insurance| Commissioner of Agriculture and Industries| Commissioner of Agriculture and Industries| Commissioner of Labor| Public Service Commission|