Democratic primary for Maryland's top executive offices is a race of "firsts"
By: Maresa Strano
Incumbent Democratic Governor Martin O'Malley is barred by term limits from seeking a third consecutive term in office in 2014. O'Malley's second in command, Lt. Governor Anthony Brown (D), officially launched his campaign to replace him on May 10, 2013. If he wins, Brown will be the first lieutenant governor and first African-American to be elected governor of Maryland since the lieutenant governor's office was created in 1970. O'Malley, with whom Brown shared winning tickets in both the 2006 and 2010 elections, supports Brown as his successor. Brown's lieutenant gubernatorial running-mate is Howard County Executive Ken Ulman. Immediately after formalizing their partnership for the 2014 campaign, the Brown-Ulman ticket received the endorsement of U.S. Rep. Elijah Cummings (D-MD). A number of Cumming's congressional colleagues announced their support soon thereafter, as well as influential labor union branches of the SEIU.
On July 17, 2013, another potentially history making candidate entered the Democratic primary field to give Brown some competition on the "firsts" front: Maryland House Delegate Heather Mizeur. If victorious, Mizeur will be the state's first female to hold the governor's office, as well as the country's first openly gay governor.
Meanwhile, current state attorney general Doug Gansler, who is likewise seeking the Democratic nomination next year, announced October 14, 2013 that he selected Prince George County Delegate Jolene Ivey, an African-American woman, for his running-mate. Keeping with the trailblazer theme established earlier by Brown and Mizeur to entice more progressive-leaning voters, the Gansler-Ivey ticket carries the promise of setting records for both Maryland and the United States. Indeed, after declaring her candidacy for lieutenant governor, Ivey stated, "I am proud to be the first African-American woman to run for lieutenant governor, and when we win, to be the first Democratic African-American woman to be lieutenant governor in our nation's history."
So far, a number of Republican candidates - including state lawmaker Ron George and Harford County Executive David Craig - have launched bids to seek their party's nomination for the open seat in 2014.
The general election will be held on November 4, 2014 following a primary on June 24, 2014.
Here is a list of candidates who have entered the 2014 Maryland gubernatorial and lieutenant gubernatorial race so far:
- Maryland gubernatorial and lieutenant gubernatorial election, 2014
- Maryland state executive official elections, 2014
- Governor of Maryland
- Lieutenant Governor of Maryland
|Propositions •||Recall||• Law|
- WBAL Radio, "Brown Kicks Off Bid for Governor Today," May 10, 2013
- The Washington Post, "Steele Running Against History," August 7, 2005
- Washington Blade, "Exclusive: Mizeur eyeing run for Maryland governor," November 14, 2012
- The Washington Post, "New candidates to step forward Monday in Maryland’s race for governor," June 2, 2013
- Brown-Ulman 2014 Official campaign website, "News: 'SEIU Maryland-DC State Council Endorses Anthony Brown and Ken Ulman,'" September 30, 2013
- The Washington Post, "Mikulski says she's 'ready to get into it' to help elect Anthony Brown as governor," September 22, 2013
- The Washington Post, Hoyer to announce support of Brown in Maryland 2014 race for governor, July 17, 2013
- The Huffington Post, Heather Mizeur Running For Governor Of Maryland , July 17, 2013
- SoMdNews, "Mizeur makes gubernatorial bid official," July 17, 2013
- Wbal.com, "Gansler announces runningmate," October 14, 2013
- Maryland Reporter, "Ron George runs for governor," June 5, 2013
- The Washington Post, "A Brown-Ulman ticket could shake up Democratic primary for Md. governor’s office," April 28, 2013
- Examiner.com, "Filed for 2014 Maryland governor expands," May 28, 2012
- Baltimore News Journal, "Attorney General Doug Gansler kicks off bid for governor," September 23, 2013
- WBAL.com, "Gansler announces runningmate," October 14, 2013
- Vote for Ralph Jaffe, Home, accessed December 23, 2013
- Maryland State Board of Elections, 2014 Gubernatorial Primary Election State Candidates List, February 26, 2014
- The Huffington Post, "Heather Mizeur Running For Governor Of Maryland," July 17, 2013
- Washington Post, "Del. Heather Mizeur selects the Rev. Delman Coates as running-mate," November 13, 2013
- Baltimore Sun, "Mizeur makes smart moves as candidate for governor," November 14, 2013
- The Washington Post, "Craig touts experience, takes aim at taxes in advance of run for Md. governor," May 31, 2013
- David Craig.com, "Main page," accessed May 30, 2012
- Southern Maryland Newspapers Online, Craig announces gubernatorial running mate, July 17, 2013
- The Capital Gazette, "Maryland GOP Del. Ron George to run for governor," April 30, 2013
- WBAL.com, "Delegate To Run For Governor," June 1, 2013
- '"Charles Lollar for Governor 2014 Official Campaign Website, "Homepage," accessed September 9, 2013
- WBAL Radio, "Ex-Firefighter & Activist Form First GOP Ticket For Governor," May 7, 2013
- Libertarian Party of Maryland, "2014 Candidates," accessed December 16, 2013