|Rhode Island House of Representatives District 71|
|January 2, 2017|
|Years in position||2|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 4, 2014|
|First elected||November 6, 2012|
|Next general||November 8, 2016|
|High school||St. Andrew’s School|
|Associate||Roger Williams University|
|Date of birth||August 18, 1960|
|Profession||Retired police officer|
He served on the Portsmouth Town Council from 2004 to 2010. He held the position of Council President for two years.
Canario earned his associate’s degree in Criminal Justice from Roger Williams University in 1988. His professional experience includes working as a police officer for the Portsmouth police department before retirement.
2015 legislative session
At the beginning of the 2015 legislative session, Canario served on the following committees:
|Rhode Island Committee Assignments, 2015|
|• Health, Education and Welfare|
|• Veterans' Affairs|
In the 2013-2014 legislative session, Canario served on the following committees:
|Rhode Island Committee Assignments, 2013|
|• Health, Education and Welfare|
|• Small Business|
Elections for the office of Rhode Island House of Representatives took place in 2014. A primary election took place on September 9, 2014. The general election was held on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was June 25, 2014. Incumbent Dennis Canario was unopposed in the Democratic primary, while Norbert Rattay was unopposed in the Republican primary. Canario defeated Rattay in the general election.
|Rhode Island House of Representatives, District 71, General Election, 2014|
|Democratic||Dennis Canario Incumbent||54.7%||2,690|
Canario won election in the 2012 election for Rhode Island House of Representatives District 71. Canario was unopposed in the September 11 Democratic primary and was unopposed in the general election which took place on November 6, 2012.
|Rhode Island House of Representatives, District 71, General Election, 2012|
Comprehensive donor information for Dennis Canario is available dating back to 2012. Based on available campaign finance records, Dennis Canario raised a total of $-500 during that time period. This information was last updated on August 12, 2013.
|Dennis Canario's Campaign Contribution History|
|2012||Rhode Island House of Representatives, District 71||$-500|
|Grand Total Raised||$-500|
2012Dennis Canario won election to the Rhode Island House of Representatives in 2012. During that election cycle, Dennis Canario raised a total of $-500.
|Rhode Island House of Representatives 2012 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Dennis Canario's campaign in 2012|
|Total Raised in 2012||$-500|
|Source: Follow the Money|
Legislative scorecards are used to evaluate elected public officials based on voting record. Some scorecards are created by political advocacy groups with a focus on specific issues, while others are developed by newspapers and are broad in scope. Scorecards are meant to be used as a tool for voters to have a quick picture of whether their views align with a particular legislator's record.
Because scorecards can be specific to particular issues or general to a state’s legislative term, for example, each report should be considered on its own merits. Each entity that publishes these reports uses different methodologies and definitions for the terms used.
Please see our writing guidelines if you would like to add results from an individual scorecard to this legislator's profile.
- American Civil Liberties Union of Rhode Island: 2013-2014 Voting Record
- Legislators are scored based on their votes on bills related to civil liberties.
- Common Cause: 2013-2014 Legislative Scorecard
- Legislators are scored based on votes on government reform.
- Rhode Island Center for Freedom and Prosperity: 2013 Session Freedom Index
- Legislators are scored based on their votes on bills deemed to have an effect on free-market, small-government, or constitutional principles.
- National Federation of Independent Business in Rhode Island: 2013-2014 Voting Record
- Legislators are scored on their votes on key small business issues.
Canario and his wife, Amy, have three children.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "Dennis + Canario + Rhode Island + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this legislator due to the nature of the search engine.
- Rhode Island House of Representatives
- House Committees
- Rhode Island General Assembly
- Joint Committees
- Rhode Island state legislative districts
- Official campaign website
- Profile from the Rhode Island House of Representatives
- Profile from Open States
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Dennis Canario on Facebook
- Dennis Canario on Twitter
- Campaign contributions: 2012
- Project Vote Smart, "Biography of Rep. Dennis Canario," accessed June 10, 2014
- Rhode Island Secretary of State, "Candidates for Representative in General Assembly," accessed June 30, 2014
- Rhode Island Secretary of State, "2014 Statewide Primary Results: Representative in General Assembly," accessed September 26, 2014
- Rhode Island Board of Elections, "Official 2014 general election results," accessed December 4, 2014
- Candidates in Upcoming Elections, "Rhode Island Secretary of State," accessed July 10, 2012
- State of Rhode Island Board of Elections, "2012 Statewide Primary Results," accessed June 10, 2014
- State of Rhode Island Board of Elections, "2012 Statewide General Election Results," accessed June 10, 2014
- followthemoney.org, "Canario, Dennis," accessed August 12, 2013
Daniel Gordon Jr. (R)
|Rhode Island House of Representatives - District 71
| Succeeded by|