|Dennis Ross Shackelford|
Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Illinois House of Representatives District 96|
|High school||Rochester High School (1977)|
|Bachelor's||Southern Illinois University Edwardsville (1981)|
|Associate's||Springfield College in Illinois (1979)|
|Master's||Southern Illinois University Edwardsville (1983)|
|Profession||Small Business Owner|
Shackelford earned his AA from Springfield College in Illinois in 1977. He went on to receive both his BA and M.A. in Communications from Southern Illinois University, Edwardsville, in 1981 and 1983, respectively. Shackelford has worked in a variety of positions and is currently the owner of Judy's Hallmark Shops.
Shackelford's campaign website listed the following issues:
- Reforming State Government
- Excerpt: "Illinois is one of, if not the, most corrupt states in the U.S. We need to bring more transparency to Springfield. That begins with more transparent campaign finance reform. Every Illinoisan should know who is sending money to a given candidate and why."
- Making Illinois a job friendly state again
- Excerpt: "Illinois is ranked 49th out of the 50 states in job growth due to the actions of the General Assembly over the past decade. It is time to take a comprehensive approach, which includes government, business, and labor, to work together to make the 96th District as well as Illinois as a whole a better environment for job creation."
- Bringing the budget back to basics
- Excerpt: "Unfortunately, the General Assembly’s budget plan only lasts from session to session. That has to change. I am sure you have had to balance your budget for your families as well. I would take those basics of a budget mindset to Springfield. We must cut the excessive wasteful spending out of state government."
- Gun Rights
- Excerpt: "I support concealed carry legislation. Illinois is the only state in the U.S. that does not have some sort of a concealed carry permit; that needs to change."
- Excerpt: "Dennis will fight for our teachers and local school districts. If we want Illinois to become more prosperous, all children need to receive a quality education."
Shackelford ran for election in the 2012 election for Illinois House of Representatives District 96. Shackelford defeated Jared Perry in the March 20 Republican primary and was defeated by Sue Scherer (D) in the general election, which took place on November 6, 2012.
|Illinois House of Representatives, District 96, General Election, 2012|
|Democratic||Sue Scherer Incumbent||62.1%||25,096|
|Illinois House of Representatives, District 96 Republican Primary, 2012|
|Dennis Ross Shackelford||62.9%||3,164|
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Dennis + Shackelford + Illinois + Senate"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Campaign Website
- Project Vote Smart biography
- Dennis Shackelford for IL State Rep Facebook page
- Twitter feed
- Dennis Shackelford, "Issues," accessed October 25, 2012
- Illinois State Board of Elections "Candidate List," December 5, 2011
- Illinois State Board of Elections, "Official 2012 Primary Results"
- Illinois State Board of Elections, “Official Vote - November 6, 2012 General Election,” accessed January 18, 2013
State of Illinois
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Comptroller | Auditor General | Superintendent of Education | Director of Insurance | Director of Agriculture | Director of Natural Resources | Director of Labor | Chairman of Commerce Commission |