Denver Stimulus Bill Protest 2009
Denver Pig Roast
A Denver Anti-Stimulus Rally and Pig Roast, organized by Americans for Prosperity Colorado, the Independence Institute, and others, took place in Denver, Colorado on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 from noon-3:00 p.m. The event was also referred to as the Denver Pig Roast.
Denver was chosen as the location of the protest because Barack Obama chose Denver to sign the stimulus bill. While Obama signed the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, known by Michelle Malkin as the "Generational Theft Act", at the Denver Museum of Nature and Science, hundreds of Coloradans rallied several blocks away at the state Capitol in opposition to the legislation.
Second rally on February 27
This event was part of a national movement referred to as the Chicago Tea Party. The series of protests began in Seattle, Washington on February 16, 2009, later gaining momentum on Thursday, February 19, when Rick Santelli in an on-air segment on CNBC Business Newslive called for a "Chicago Tea Party." Santelli's remarks became known as the "Rant Heard 'Round the World."
Organizers sprang up in many different quarters of the fiscally conservative movement online and include Top Conservatives on Twitter, Smart Girl Politics, Don't Go, Americans for Tax Reform, the Heartland Institute, American Spectator Magazine, the New American Tea Party and many others.
- Facebook group for February 27 rally
- Obama: You Don't Know Stimulus
- Oink - The Denver Pork Roast for Obama’s Stimulus Package
- Michelle Malkin, "From the Boston Tea Party to your neighborhood pork protest", February 16, 2009
- Slapstick Politics, "Focus On "New Energy" As Denver Braces For Barack Obama's Stimulus Bill Signing; Protests Planned", February 16, 2009
- Face the State, "Slideshow: Protesters to Obama: 'No More Pork!'", February 17, 2009
- Rocky Mountain Right, "Photos from the anti-stimulus protest"
- Colorado Independent, "Conservatives plan stimulus ‘tea party’ protest at state Capitol", February 23, 2009
- Street Insider, "Rick Santelli - The Rant Heard 'Round the World,'" February 19, 2009
- TCOT and online Conservatives Launch Nationwide Chicago Tea Party Friday February 27 at noon
Chicago Tea Party and Tax Day Tea Party
Asheville, NC | Atlanta, GA | Fayetteville, AR | Ft. Myers, FL | Gainesville, FL | Greenville, SC | Jackson, MS | Jacksonville, Florida | Lafayette, LA | Little Rock, AR | Nashville | Orlando | Sarasota, FL | Shelby County, AL | Tampa, FL |