Department of Health, Massachusetts
The Office of Health and Human Services protects the health and safety of Massachusetts residents by ensuring safe drinking water, promoting health care research, and offering programs and services to children and the elderly. Programs such as MassHealth, the Massachusetts Medicaid program, operates within the Office of Health and Human Services.
The 2011 budget for the Office of Health and Human Services totals $15,631,720.
Public testimony for budget hearings is available on the website.
MassHealth program expenditures for 2011 are estimated at $9.838 billion, which assumes coverage of 1,257,000 members in 2011, a 3% increase from 2010.
MassHealth, the Commonwealth's Medicaid program, operates within the Office of Health and Human Services. The program provides health insurance or assistance paying for private health insurance. The Director of the Medicaid Program is Terry Dougherty. MassHealthcare plans provided care to 751,260 Massachusetts residents as of December 31, 2009.
The Medicaid program's contracts with the University of Massachusetts Medical School are currently under investigation.
SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program) helps families and individuals who meet eligibility requirements purchase nutritious food. As of January 2011, the Massachusetts SNAP program was ranked 8th in the nation for participant access to the program by the U.S. Department of Agriculture and was ranked 6th in the nation for most improved access to program benefits.
Open Meeting Notices and reports for Departments within the Office of Health and Human Services are available on the official website.
The Massachusetts Transparency website provides information on state spending and accessing public records.
- Office of Health and Human Services official site
- The Official Website of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts</ref>
- Massachusetts Transparency</ref>
- Secretary Bigby Welcomes You to EOHHS
- Office of the Secretary of Health and Human Services
- Budget Breakdown
- Public Testimony for EOHHS Budget Hearings
- MassHealth FY 2011 H.2 Budget Summary
- Welcome from Medicaid Directory Terry Dougherty
- MassHealth Annual Reports
- Medicaid contracts with UMass Medical School unit scrutinized
- SNAP Benefits Overview
- Massachusetts Ranks in Nation's Top Ten for Supplemental Nutritional Assistance Program (SNAP) Participation
- Key Resources
- Massachusetts Transparency