was a 2014 Republican
candidate seeking election to the U.S. Senate
from South Carolina
He was defeated by incumbent Lindsey Graham
in the Republican primary on June 10, 2014.
- See also: United States Senate elections in South Carolina, 2014
Bowers ran in the 2014 election for the U.S. Senate, to represent South Carolina. He was defeated by incumbent Lindsey Graham in the Republican primary on June 10, 2014.
|U.S. Senate, South Carolina Republican Primary, 2014
Lindsey Graham Incumbent
| Lee Bright
| Richard Cash
| Det Bowers
| Nancy Mace
| Bill Connor
| Benjamin Dunn
|Source: Results via Associated Press
Bowers argued in one of his sermons delivered at Christ Church of the Carolinas that in many cases of divorce, husbands leave their wives because their wives love their children more than their husbands. In the sermon he stated, “Do you hear me ladies? It is an abominable idolatry to love your children more than you love your husband, and it will ruin your marriage. And yet you blame it on him because he ran off with some other woman! He did run off with some other woman, and you packed his bags. All of his emotional bags, you packed for him. Is that true in every case? No, but it’s true in the vast preponderance of them."
Bowers' full sermon can be found here.
||Richard Cash||Lee Bright||Nancy Mace||Det Bowers||Bill Connor||Benjamin Dunn||Other/Someone else||Won't vote||Margin of Error||Sample Size
|Target Point (May 16-22, 2014) (dead link)||56%||7%||6%||5%||4%||1%||1%||2%||1%||+/-2.8||600|
|Note: The polls above may not reflect all polls that have been conducted in this race. Those displayed are a random sampling chosen by Ballotpedia staff. If you would like to nominate another poll for inclusion in the table, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.|
Candidates for Congress were required to file up to seven main reports with the Federal Election Commission during the 2014 elections season. Below are Bowers' reports.
|Det Bowers (2014) Campaign Finance Reports|
|Report||Date Filed||Beginning Balance||Total Contributions|
for Reporting Period
|Expenditures||Cash on Hand|
|April Quarterly||April 10, 2014||$0.00||$421,417.00||$(44,808.21)||$376,608.79|
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Det + Bowers + South Carolina + Senate"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
Det Bowers News Feed
- ↑ CNN Politics, "Pastor joins crowded GOP race to unseat Lindsey Graham," February 4, 2014
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Associated Press, "South Carolina - Summary Vote Results," accessed June 10, 2014
- ↑ Politico, "Lindsey Graham foe: Children-loving women cause divorces," accessed April 29, 2014
- ↑ Federal Election Commission, "Bowers 2014 Summary reports," accessed April 29, 2014
- ↑ Federal Election Commission, "April Quarterly," accessed April 29, 2014