|Alabama House of Representatives, District 74|
|December 5, 2013 - Present|
|November 5, 2014|
|Years in position||1|
|Elections and appointments|
|First elected||December 3, 2013|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
|Montgomery County Commission|
|Place of birth||Montgomery, AL|
Polizos' professional experience includes working as a restaurateur.
Polizos's website highlights the following campaign themes:
Encourage Economic Improvement & Job Creation
- Excerpt: "The best way for businesses to survive and thrive is to get government out of the way and allow men and women to operate free from the bonds of regulation and restriction. I say 'yes' to a more vibrant economy where everyone can succeed if they try."
Reduce Government Spending
- Excerpt: "I believe state government can learn a lesson from the runaway spending that has crippled the nation’s economy. We must be good stewards of taxpayer dollars, and that means saying 'no' to wasteful spending. "
Protect Our Conservative Values
- Excerpt: "Like you, I am tired of the constant assault on our values. In the Alabama legislature, I promise to stand up and push for any measure that will add protection to persons or property."
Demand Excellence in Education
- Excerpt: "The message lawmakers must emphasize is to get parents to become involved and ensure their children show up for school, are rested, alert and preparing for the challenges put before them by their instructors. As a legislator, I will work with parents, experts, and educators to help transform our education system into one that meets the demands of the 21st century."
Elections for the office of Alabama House of Representatives will take place in 2014. A primary election took place June 3, 2014; a runoff election took place where necessary on July 15, 2014. The general election will be held on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was February 7, 2014. Zack Buckner was unopposed in the Democratic primary. Incumbent Dimitri Polizos was unopposed in the Republican primary. Buckner will face Polizos in the general election.
Polizos won election in the special election for Alabama House of Representatives District 74. The seat was vacant following Jay Love's (R) resignation to work for the Business Council of Alabama. Polizos faced Heather Sellers and Charlotte Meadows in the October 8 Republican primary. Since no candidate gained more than fifty percent of the votes, the top two vote-getters - Meadows and Polizos - met in a runoff on November 19, which Polizos won. As no Democrat filed to run, Polizos was declared the winner.
Dimitri and his wife, Dottie, have three children.
Legislative scorecards are used to evaluate elected public officials based on voting record. Some scorecards are created by political advocacy groups with a focus on specific issues, while others are developed by newspapers and are broad in scope. Scorecards are meant to be used as a tool for voters to have a quick picture of whether their views align with a particular legislator's record.
Because scorecards can be specific to particular issues or general to a state’s legislative term, for example, each report should be considered on its own merits. Each entity that publishes these reports uses different methodologies and definitions for the terms used.
Please see our writing guidelines if you would like to add results from an individual scorecard to this legislator's profile.
Note: As of October 2014, we were unable to locate any scorecards for the state of Alabama. If you are aware of a scorecard Ballotpedia has not included please email it to email@example.com.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Dimitri + Polizos + Alabama + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Alabama House of Representatives
- House Committees
- Alabama State Legislature
- Alabama state legislative districts
- Profile from the Alabama House of Representatives
- Official campaign website
- Profile from Open States
- Legislative Profile from Project Vote Smart
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- dimitripolizos.com, "About," accessed September 19, 2014
- dimitripolizos.com, "Issues," accessed September 19, 2014
- Alabama Democrats, "Qualified candidates for public office list," accessed February 27, 2014
- Alabama Republican Party, "State Senate," accessed February 27, 2014
- Alabama Secretary of State, "Official Democratic Primary Results," accessed June 20, 2014
- Alabama Secretary of State, "Official Republican Primary Results," accessed June 20, 2014
- timesdaily.com, " Special elections set for Ala. House districts," August 8, 2013
- "Official candidate list," accessed October 7, 2013
- montgomeryadvertiser.com, "Polizos, Meadows in runoff for Alabama House District 74 seat," October 9, 2013
- blog.al.com, "Dimitri Polizos defeats Charlotte Meadows in Alabama House District 74 (updated)," November 19, 2013
Jay Love (R)
|Alabama House District 74
| Succeeded by|
State of Alabama
|State executive officers||
Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer| Auditor| Superintendent of Education| Commissioner of Insurance| Commissioner of Agriculture and Industries| Commissioner of Agriculture and Industries| Commissioner of Labor| Public Service Commission|