Dinwiddie Public Schools, Virginia
|Transparency grading process|
- Main article: Evaluation of Virginia school district websites
- The 2009-2010 and the proposed 2010-2011 budgets are available, including federal, state, and local revenue information.
- School board meeting schedule, agendas and minutes are available.
- Administrative and school board contact information is available.
- Academic performance information is available via a link to the Virginia Department of Education website.
- The Dinwiddie County School Board Policies Manual includes a Request for Public Records form in Section K-School-Community Relations. Audit information can be found in Section D – Fiscal Management. Hiring procedures and staff evaluation information can be found in Section G – Personnel.
- Vendor contract information is available on the Virginia state website.
- The website does not include the results of background checks.
- The website does not include the results of audits.
- Teacher contracts are not available on the school website. Teacher salary data is available on the Virginia Department of Education website.
Current School Board Members
|Gregory K. McCammon, Chairman||District 5|
|James E. Harrison, Sr., Vice Chairman||District 3|
|Legert Hamilton||District 4|
|William R. Haney||District 2|
|James C. Maitland||District 1|
The current division superintendent is W. David Clark.
The Virginia Public School System is supervised by a Board of Education, comprised of nine members appointed by the Governor and approved by the Virginia General Assembly. Members serve staggered four-year terms.
The Board of Education is responsible for dividing the Commonwealth of Virginia into school divisions and reviewing existing divisions to ensure standards of quality are being met. The Board makes annual reports to the General Assembly regarding public education in the Commonwealth and is further charged with certifying to the school board of each division a list of persons for the office of division superintendent of schools, one of whom the school board ultimately selects to fill the position. The Board also approves all educational materials used in the public schools. Supervision of school divisions is conducted by individual school boards.
Current Board of Education Members
|Eleanor B. Saslaw, President||2nd||January 29, 2012|
|Dr. Ella P. Ward, Vice President||2nd||January 29, 2011|
|Elizabeth D. Beamer||1st||January 29, 2014|
|Dr. Billy K. Cannaday, Jr.||1st||June 30, 2011|
|Isis M. Castro||2nd||January 29, 2012|
|David M. Foster||1st||January 29, 2014|
|David L. Johnson||2nd||June 30, 2011|
|K. Rob Krupicka||1st||January 29, 2013|
|Dr. Virginia L. McLaughlin||1st||January 29, 2013|
The Dinwiddie County schools proposed 2010-2011 budget totals $38,517,348.00, a decrease from 2009-2010’s approved budget of $40,875,124.00.
The Commonwealth of Virginia assesses schools based on Standards of Learning (SOL) tests and other statewide assessments; schools receive two accountability ratings a year based on student performance on these assessments. SOL tests assess student performance in English, math, science and history. Ratings are also given based on school and school division adherence to the goals of the federal Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA), which requires 100 percent proficiency in reading and mathematics by 2014.
School's state accreditation is based on performance in English, history, mathematics and science.
Schools and school divisions, as well as the State, are rated as achieving Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP) if they meet or exceed annual benchmarks in reading and mathematics.
The Virginia Department of Education School Division Report Card reports Dinwiddie County Public Schools as having a student population of 4,717 and 8 schools in the division.
Dinwiddie County Public School Division did not make AYP for the 2009-2010 school year.
|School||Grade||Enrollment|| Made Adequate Yearly
Progress for 2009?
|Dinwiddie Elementary||K - 5||425||No|
|Dinwiddie Junior High||8 - 9||754||No|
|Dinwiddie Middle||6 - 8||690||No|
|Dinwiddie Senior High||9 - 12||1,184||Yes|
|Midway Elementary||K - 5||387||Yes|
|Southside Elementary||K - 5||429||Yes|
|Sunnyside Elementary||K - 5||284||No|
|Sutherland Elementary||K - 5||564||Yes|
- Dinwiddie County Public Schools Official Website
- Virginia Department of Education official website
- Official Website of the Commonwealth of Virgina
- Virginia Education Association Official Website
- ‘Dinwiddie County Public Schools’, FY2011 Proposed Budget, June 24, 2010
- ‘Dinwiddie County Public Schools’, BoardDocs, June 24, 2010
- ‘Dinwiddie County Public Schools’, Departments, June 24, 2010
- ‘Dinwiddie County Public Schools’, School Board, June 24, 2010
- ‘Dinwiddie County Public Schools’, Parent Information, June 24, 2010
- ‘Dinwiddie County Public Schools’, Dinwiddie County School Board Policies, June 24, 2010
- 'Virginia Department of Education', Virginia State Contracts, June 10, 2010
- 'Virginia Department of Education', Education Workforce Data & Reports, June 10, 2010
- 'Legislative Information System', Constitution of Virginia, June 10, 2010
- 'State Board of Education', Board Members, June 10, 2010
- 'Virginia Department of Education', School Report Card Accountability Guide, June 14, 2010
- ‘Virginia Department of Education’, Dinwiddie County Public Schools, June 24, 2010
- 'Virginia Education Association', June 10, 2010
- 'National Education Association', June 10, 2010