|Kansas House of Representatives District 19|
| Term in office began|
| Term in office ended|
Prior to her election, Furtado served as County Commissioner from 2003-2007 on the Johnson County Board of County Commissioners. Since 2007 she served on the Boards of the TriCounty Smart Start, Kansas Health Solutions, CASA of Johnson and Wyandotte Counties, Johnson County Nursing Center, Public Health Partners and Aging Information.
She received her Bachelor's in Bacteriology from Cornell University and her Master's and PhD in Microbiology from the University of Michigan.
Furtado's website lists her legislative priorities as accessible health care and quality education on all levels.
She refused to take Project Vote Smart's 2008 Political Courage Test. The test, which is administered to all candidates for presidential, congressional, gubernatorial, and state legislative offices, asks one central question - "Are you willing to tell citizens your positions on the issues you will most likely face on their behalf?"
Furtado has not yet sponsored any major legislation in the 2009 session.
While a member of the Kansas House of Representatives, Furtado served on the following committees:
- Health and Human Services Committee, House of Representatives
- Aging and Long Term Care Committee, House of Representatives
- Economic Development and Tourism Committee, House of Representatives
- Arts and Cultural Resources Joint Committee, State Legislature
On November 4, 2008, Furtado was elected to the 19th District Seat in the Kansas House of Representatives, defeating John Skubal (R). Furtado raised $42,074 for her campaign, while Skubal raised $9,162.
|Kansas House of Representatives, District 19|
|Dolores Furtado (D)||5,319||50.9%|
|John Skubal (R)||5,111||49.0%|
In 2008 Furtado collected $42,074 in donations.
Four of her largest contributors were:
|Kansas Democratic Party||$19,250|
|Plumbers & Pipefitters Local 533||$500|
- Dolores Furtado's Official Campaign Site
- Kansas Legislature - Dolores Furtado
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Project Vote Smart Legislative Profile
- Kansas Votes profile
- Campaign contributions: 2008
- Dolores Furtado for State Representative About Dolores
- Dolores Furtado for State Representative My Legislative Priorities
- Project Vote Smart - Rep. Furtado Issue Positions
- Kansas Secretary of State, "2010 General Election - Official Vote Totals," accessed March 29, 2014
- Kansas Secretary of State, "2008 General Election - Official Vote Totals," accessed March 29, 2014
- Follow the Money, "Kansas 2008 - Candidates," accessed March 29, 2014
- Follow the Money - 2008 Campaign Contributions
|Kansas House of Representatives District 19
| Succeeded by|
Jim Denning (R)
State of Kansas
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Insurance | Secretary of Agriculture | Secretary of Wildlife and Parks | Secretary of Labor | Corporation Commission |