|Virginia Senate District 9|
|2008 - Present|
|January 11, 2016|
|Years in position||6|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 8, 2011|
|Next general||November 3, 2015|
|J.D.||University of Virginia School of Law|
|Place of birth||Nuremberg, Germany|
McEachin served in the Virginia House of Delegates from 1996 to 2001 and 2006 to 2008.
McEachin received a B.S. at American University, a J.D. at the University of Virginia School of Law, a M. Div at the Samuel DeWitt Proctor School of Theology, Virginia Union University,
McEachin works as an attorney.
In the 2012-2013 legislative session, McEachin served on the following committees:
In the 2010-2011 legislative session, McEachin served on the following committees:
- Agriculture, Conservation and Natural Resources
- Commerce and Labor
- General Laws and Technology
- Privileges and Elections
Law enforcement drones
McEachin was the sponsor in the Virginia State Senate of SB 1331, which would severely limit state and local law enforcement agencies' use of unmanned drone aircraft. McEachlin's bill would ban all use of drones by state and local agencies except for Amber Alerts and search and rescue operations until May 1, 2015. SB 1331 became the first ban of its kind to be passed nationwide when the Senate approved it 36-2 on February 5, following the House's passage of the companion House bill sponsored by Representative Ben Cline. The drone moratorium now awaits Governor Bob McDonnell's signature.
McEachin's website highlighted the following campaign themes:
- Civil Rights & Voting Rights
- Excerpt: "When an individual makes a mistake, he or she must pay the price...But when someone has paid his or her debt to society, comes back to their family, works to get a job and be a contributing member to society, our responsibility is to aid in that."
- Excerpt: "Children need to have access to the most up to date learning tools, no matter where they live in the Commonwealth. We need to provide more opportunities for vocational education so those students who choose not to attend college have the skills necessary to enter the workforce."
- Public Safety
- Excerpt: "Our neighborhoods and streets must be safe and secure. Families must feel safe in their yards, churches and playgrounds. We must make this a priority."
- See also: Virginia State Senate elections, 2011
- See also: Virginia State Senate elections, 2007
McEachin raised $203,209 for his campaign while Persinger raised $169.
|Virginia State Senate, District 9 (2007)|
|Donald McEachin (D)||16,782||80.91%|
|Silver Persinger (I)||3,789||18.26%|
In 2011, McEachin received $213,363 in campaign donations. The top contributors are listed below.
|Virginia State Senate 2011 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Donald McEachin's campaign in 2011|
|Allen Allen Allen & Allen||$6,500|
|Virginia Trial Lawyers Association||$5,500|
|Jefferson Jr, Billy||$5,000|
|Total Raised in 2011||$213,363|
Listed below are McEachin's top five campaign contributors in the 2007 election:
|McEachin for Delegate||$55,687|
|Act Blue Virginia||$16,186|
|Virginia Trial Lawyers Association||$7,000|
|Christopher M. Little||$5,000|
|Dominion (Energy & Natural Resources)||$5,000|
McEachin was born in Nuremburg, Germany on October 10, 1961.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Donald + McEachin + Virginia + Senate"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Virginia State Legislature
- Virginia State Senate
- Virginia Senate Committees
- Virginia state legislative districts
- Sen. McEachin's website
- Biography from the Virginia Legislature
- Profile from Open States
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign contributions:2007
- Donald McEachin on Facebook
- Politico, "Bob McDonnell considers Virginia drone ban," February 6, 2013
- Independent Voter News, "Virginia Drone Regulations First in Nation, Other States Could Follow," February 7, 2013
- Virginia State Board of Elections, "November 2011 General Election Official Results," accessed May 15, 2014
- Virginia State Board of Elections, "November 6, 2007 General Election Official Results," accessed May 28, 2014
- Follow the Money, "2007 Campaign contributions," accessed May 28, 2014
- Follow the Money, "2011 Campaign Contributions," accessed May 15, 2014
B. Lambert III
|Virginia Senate District 9
| Succeeded by|