Dr. David Hunton
|Dr. David Hunton|
|At-Large member, Fort Smith Public Schools Board of Education|
|Years in position||10|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||September 17, 2013|
|Next general||September 17, 2013|
|Bachelor's||University of Arkansas|
|M.D.||University of Arkansas|
|Profession||General and Vascular Surgeon|
Hunton is a general and vascular surgeon at the Cooper Clinic in Fort Smith. He received his M.D. from the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences in Little Rock Arkansas. Hunton also serves as an Assistant Clinical Professor at the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences. Hunton has served on the Board of Directors for the Cooper Clinic from 1993 to 1995.
|Springdale School Board, At-large, September 17, 2013|
|Nonpartisan||Dr. David Hunton||74.6%||505|
|Source: The Southwest Times Record|
Hunton did not disclose any campaign finance expenditures or contributions.
Hunton was unopposed for an At-Large position on the Fort Smith Public Schools Board of Education.
Hunton was elected to the Fort Smith Public Board of Education At-Large position on September 18, 2007. He was opposed by Richard Peer.
|Fort Smith Public Schools, At-Large, 2007|
|Nonpartisan||Dr. David Hunton||70.4%||1,293|
Hunton was elected to the Fort Smith Public Board of Education At-Large position on September 21, 2004. He was opposed by Jo Ellery.
|Fort Smith Public Schools, At-Large, 2004|
|Nonpartisan||Dr. David Hunton||52.7%||1,113|
What was at stake?
Dr. David Hunton's position as President of the Fort Smith Public School Board and at-large seat were at stake during the September 17, 2013 election.
About the districtArkansas in Sebastian County. It is one of the two county seats of Sebastian County, and the second largest city in the state of Arkansas. According to the 2010 census, Fort Smith is home to 86,217 residents. 
Fort Smith Public Schools is a district comprised of 19 elementary schools, 4 junior high school, 2 senior high schools, and one alternative learning center.
Fort Smith underperforms the rest of Arkansas when compared on the basis of median household income, people living below the poverty level, percentage of residents over the age of 25 with a high school diploma. The median household income in Fort Smith was $37,340 compared to $40,149 for the state of Arkansas. 20.7%% of Fort Smith residents aged 25 years and older attained a bachelor's degree compared to a 19.6% in Arkansas. The US Census also showed the poverty rate in Fort Smith was 22.5%% compared to 18.4% for the entire state. The US Census also found that 20.7% of Fort Smith residents aged 25 years and older attained a bachelor's degree compared to a 19.6% in Arkansas.
- Cooper Clinic "David W. Hunton, MD, FACS" Accessed August 15, 2013
- Arkansas Secretary of State "Campaign Expenditure Search" Accessed August 13, 2013
- Sebastian County Online "Elections Archive" Accessed August 15, 2013
- [http://www.sebastiancountyonline.com/sebhome.nsf/Election%2009182007?OpenPage Sebastian County Online "September 18, 2007 School Election" Accessed August 15, 2013]
- [http://www.sebastiancountyonline.com/sebhome.nsf/Election09212004?OpenPage Sebastian County Online "September 21, 2004 School Election" Accessed August 15, 2013]
- US Census Bureau "Fort Smith, Arkansas Quick Facts" Accessed August 14, 2013
- Fort Smith Schools "About our schools" Accessed August 14, 2013
- "Fort Smith Quick Facts," accessed July 31, 2013