Dr. Peter Galvan recall, St. Tammany Parish, Louisiana (2013)
An effort to recall Dr. Peter Galvan from his position as Coroner of St. Tammany Parish, Louisiana was launched in March 2013. He resigned on October 18, 2013, after the federal government charged him wit conspiracy to commit theft of property from a municipal institution receiving federal funds.
On January 22, 2013 NOLA.com issued an investigative report showing that St. Tammany Parish Coroner's Office made questionable purchases using taxpayer money, including $36,000 worth of meals between 2006 and 2012 and various purchases at grocery stories and retail shops. On January 30, 2013, the state Legislative Auditor initiated an investigation into the matter. A federal investigation also began shortly thereafter.
In March, a group calling themselves "Concerned Citizens of St. Tammany Parish" decided to launch a recall effort against Galvan over the situation, as well as over the generally high salaries given to employees at the Parish Coroner's office.
Galvan was first elected to his position in 2000.
Path to the ballot
- See also: Laws governing recall in Louisiana
Recall supporters needed to collect signatures from 33.3 percent of registered voters in the parish (52,887 names) in 180 days to trigger a recall. They officially started collecting on May 15, 2013. During their effort, recall supporters set up approximately 40 petition signing stations, and also asked petition signers to take petitions home in order to gather more signatures.
- Fox8live.com, "Lee Zurik Investigation: As Galvan pushes for new hire, recall effort picks up," August 20, 2013
- NOLA.com, "Feds charge St. Tammany Coroner Peter Galvan; he will resign next week," October 11, 2013
- NOLA.com, "St. Tammany Parish citizens' group to seek recall of Coroner Peter Galvan," March 26, 2013
- NOLA.com, "Recall effort against St. Tammany Coroner Peter Galvan is officially under way," May 15, 2013
State of Louisiana
Baton Rouge (capital)
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | State Treasurer | Superintendent of Education | Commissioner of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture and Forestry | Secretary of Natural Resources | Executive Director of the Workforce Commission | Chairman of Public Service Commission |