|Texas House of Representatives, District 16|
Ham's professional experience includes working as a business owner and ranch worker.
Growing Our Economy And Creating Jobs
- Excerpt: "We must stop government intrusion into the private business sector, eliminate the job-killing margin tax, eliminate unnecessary government regulation and put an end to wasteful government spending and bureaucratic red tape that stifles the free market. This will allow businesses to do what they do best—create new jobs and provide opportunities for Texans."
Providing A Quality Education To Our Children
- Excerpt: ."..we should let teachers teach and let principals, superintendents, locally elected school boards and parents decide what is best for our schools, not unelected bureaucrats in Austin and Washington, D.C.... We must get rid of CSCOPE and Common Core & make sure we are instilling traditional American values in our children."
- Excerpt: "We need an efficient, effective government that lives within its means. We need bold, compassionate decisions and leaders willing to make them. As your state representative I will never establish a state income tax and I will always vote against burdensome taxes and fees."
Fighting Obamacare And Solving Texas Healthcare And Medicaid Crisis
- Excerpt: "I strongly oppose Obamacare and I will fight against its implementation in Texas. I have been a vocal opponent of Obamacare since it was first proposed long before I ever planned to run for office. I will oppose any efforts to expand Medicaid in our state. I believe that health care decisions are best made by patients and their physicians, rather than by the government. We do, however, need to implement some reforms that will help lower the costs of providing quality health care. Federal medical malpractice reform like that passed in Texas and the ability to buy insurance across state lines are just two examples of ways that Texas health care expenses can be reduced."
Texas Energy Production
- Excerpt: "I will vigorously oppose any efforts by the Obama Administration to interfere with the oil and gas production that is fueling our nation and driving our Texas economy. It is only through unfettered innovation, free-markets and limited government regulation that Texas energy will continue to grow."
- Excerpt: "We must ensure that Texans have water for drinking and their daily lives. Beyond that necessity, we must ensure there is a plan in place and all the tools necessary to ensure that Texas has water resources for generations to come. Without these measures, economic development will come to a halt and our economy will suffer greatly. I will work hard everyday to ensure Montgomery County has stable and sustainable water resources thereby fostering further economic development and job creation."
- Excerpt: "Texas is one of the world’s largest economies and has an equally extensive and complex network of infrastructure including our interstates, highways, farm-to-market roads, ports, airports, ferries and public transportation system. Like water, this network must be maintained and expanded to meet demand. Without proper transportation infrastructure in place, Texas stands to lose current jobs and will miss out on the growth needed to maintain and grow our economy in the future."
Defending Our 2nd Amendment Freedoms
- Excerpt: "I am member (sic) of the NRA and I support and will fight to pass campus carry and open carry laws. I will fight to make it easier for law abiding Texans to obtain and maintain their CHL licenses, including lowering or eliminating the cost of obtaining their licenses."
- Excerpt: "I will fight against any use of tax dollars to fund abortion or Planned Parenthood. I am opposed to human cloning, and I will fight against euthanasia and any efforts by hospitals or physicians to withhold food, water or medication from those in their charge."
- Excerpt: "Marriage must remain as it always has been, between one man and one woman."
Securing Our Ballots
- Excerpt: "I will fight against any effort to weaken the strong ballot security measures passed by our conservative majority in the Texas Legislature and signed into law by Governor Perry."
Securing Our Borders And Stopping Illegal Immigration
- Excerpt: "Texas needs to secure our borders by expanding the presence of state law enforcement on the border. We must remove incentives for illegal immigration, including Medicaid, welfare, and education. I am opposed to Amnesty in any form.... I will introduce legislation to make sanctuary cities in Texas against state law.
Preserving American Exceptionalism
- "The values established in our Constitution and Declaration of Independence must be preserved, protected, and promoted."
- Excerpt: "Our Veterans have always served us at a time when we needed them. We now must serve them at a time that they need us. I will always support policies that encourage and reinforce their pride of service. Our national leaders should be ashamed of themselves for violating our county’s promise to our heroes by reducing their retirement benefits."
Elections for all 150 seats in the Texas House of Representatives will take place in 2014. A primary election took place on March 4, 2014. Those candidates who did not receive 50% or more of the vote in their party primary on March 4 faced an additional May 27 primary runoff. The general election will take place on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in these elections was December 9, 2013. Michael Hayles, Sr. was unopposed in the Democratic primary. Will Metcalf and Ted Seago defeated Duane Ham, Gary Louie, Jason Millsaps and Steve Simonsen in the Republican primary. Metcalf defeated Seago in the May 27 Republican primary. Bob Townsend is running as a Libertarian candidate. Millsaps suspended his campaign before the Republican primary and endorsed Seago; he remained on the ballot.
In 2014, Ham's endorsements include the following:
- Texas Association of Business
- Texas Alliance for Life
Ham and his wife, Jena, have three children.
- The Courier of Montgomery County, "Duane Ham: State Representative, District 16," February 13, 2014
- The Courier of Montgomery County, "Ham focuses on family values in race for JP1," June 5, 2013
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Duane + Ham + Texas + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Official campaign website
- Duane Ham on Facebook (campaign)
- Duane Ham on Facebook (personal)
- Duane Ham on Twitter
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Biography from The Texas Tribune
- Texas Secretary of State
- Project Vote Smart, "Duane Ham's Biography," accessed February 18, 2014
- Texas Secretary of State, "2014 March Primary Election Candidate Filings by County," accessed March 4, 2014
- Texas Secretary of State, "2014 Democratic Party Primary Election," accessed April 9, 2014
- Texas Secretary of State, "2014 Republican Party Primary Election," accessed April 9, 2014
- Ted Seago Campaign, "Jason Millsaps Withdraws and Endorses Ted Seago!" February 5, 2014. accessed February 19, 2014
- Duane Ham Campaign, "About Duane," accessed February 19, 2014
State of Texas
|State executive offices||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Secretary of State | Attorney General | Comptroller | State Auditor | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Commissioner of General Land Office | Chairman of Workforce Commission | Chairman of Public Utilities | Chairman of Railroad Commission |
List of Counties |
List of Cities |
Texas school districts A - L |
Texas school districts M - Z |