Dublin City Schools elections (2013)
Method of election
What was at stake?
Dublin City Schools
About the district
- See also: Dublin City Schools, Ohio
Dublin outperforms the rest of Ohio in terms of higher education attainment, median income and poverty rate. The 2010 U.S. Census found that 71.3% of Dublin residents over 25 years old held undergraduate degrees compared to a 24.5% rate for the state of Ohio. Dublin had a median income of $113,361 in 2010 compared to $48,071 for Ohio. The poverty rate for Dublin was 3.1% in 2010 compared to an 14.8% rate for the rest of the state.
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin, not a race. Therefore, the Census allows citizens to report both their race and that they are from a "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin simultaneously. As a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table will exceed 100 percent. Each column will add up to 100 percent after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages.
Method of board member selection
The Dublin Board of Education consists of five members who are elected at-large to four-year terms. There was no primary election on September 10, 2013 and the general election was held on November 5, 2013. Three seats on the board were up for election in 2013 and two seats will be on the ballot on November 3, 2015.
Candidates for the Dublin Board of Education must be 18 years old, a resident of the district and not hold city office concurrent to board service. The Franklin County Board of Elections required a $30 filing fee as well as at least 150 signatures by the filing deadline on August 7, 2013.
- Stu Harris
- Attorney, Nationwide Insurance
- Lynn B. May
- Accounting Manager
- Rick Weininger
- Retired principal
|Dublin City Schools, At-large General Election, 4-year term, 2013|
|Nonpartisan||Lynn B. May Incumbent||34.1%||3,938|
|Nonpartisan||Stu Harris Incumbent||32.9%||3,801|
|Source: Franklin County Board of Elections, "Election Summary Report for General Election in Franklin County, Ohio," accessed December 13, 2013|
|Dublin Board of Education, At-large, November 8, 2011|
|Nonpartisan||Chris Valentine Incumbent||55.1%||13,908|
|Nonpartisan||Scott Melody Incumbent||44.9%||11,333|
|Source: Franklin County Board of Elections|
What was at stake?
Incumbents Stu Harris and Lynn B. May along with newcomer Rick Weininger sought election to the board on November 5, 2013. There were no certified write-in candidates by the August 26 deadline so Harris, May and Weininger ran without opposition. Incumbent Gwen Callender did not file for re-election in order to run for Franklin County Municipal Court Judge.
The following dates were key deadlines for the Dublin Board of Education elections in 2013:
|August 7, 2013||Last day to file nominating petitions for local nonpartisan races|
|October 24, 2013||Filing deadline for pre-election expense reports|
|November 5, 2013||Election day|
|November 26, 2013||Certification of election results by county officials|
|December 13, 2013||Filing deadline for post-election expense reports|
Additional elections on the ballot
The Dublin Board of Education election shared the ballot with other local and county measures. Voters chose four members of the Dublin City Council and four judges for the Franklin County Municipal Court.
- Dublin City Schools, Ohio
- List of school board elections in 2013
- Franklin County, Ohio ballot measures
- Financial policies, education standards at stake in November school board elections
- School board election wrap-up: Incumbents re-elected overwhelmingly in November 5 elections
- School board elections review: Voters opt for experience over new blood in nation's largest school districts
- U.S. Census, "Quick Facts: Dublin," accessed September 17, 2013
- Franklin County Board of Elections, "Past Election Results," accessed September 13, 2013
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014
- Franklin County Board of Elections, "2013 Candidate Data," accessed September 16, 2013
- Ohio Secretary of State, "2013 Candidate Guide," accessed September 16, 2013
- Ohio Secretary of State, "Elections & Voting: Campaign Finance," accessed December 23, 2013
- This Week Community News, "Candidates for school board running unopposed," August 18, 2013
- Ohio Secretary of State, "2013 Election Calendar," accessed September 17, 2013
- Franklin County Board of Education, "ELECTION NOTICE FOR USE WITH THE FEDERAL WRITE-IN ABSENTEE BALLOT(FWAB)," accessed September 17, 2013