|Indiana Auditor of State|
|August 19, 2013 - December 15, 2013|
|Predecessor||Tim Berry (R)|
|Elections and appointments|
|Appointed||August 19, 2013|
|Appointed by||Gov. Mike Pence (R)|
|Term limits||8 years in any 12 year period|
|Brownsburg Town Councilman, Ward 2|
Less than four months after his appointment went into effect, Sawyer sent shock-waves through Indiana's political ranks when he announced his resignation, effective Dec. 15, 2013. Sawyer cited family reasons in the letter of resignation he tendered to Gov. Pence on November 25.
Berry's resignation went into effect immediately upon his election as state party chair on July 22, 2013, thus activating Pence's gubernatorial authority to appoint an interim auditor to serve out the remainder of Berry's unexpired term. Before tapping Sawyer for the job, Pence had said that he wanted to replace Berry with someone who would run for a full term in 2014.
The auditor seat is next up for election in 2014. Prior to his resignation, Sawyer had been expected to pursue a full term in the office. The general election takes place November 4, 2014.
Sawyer was brought up in an Air Force family, and lived in a number of different places - including Ohio, Nebraska, California, New York, Indiana and Japan - before graduating from high school. He went on to attend Purdue University, where he studied computer technology.
Since earning his degree, Sawyer has spent his entire career in the state of Indiana. Before entering politics, he worked as a senior software engineer for Positron, a molecular imaging company focused on Nuclear Cardiology. He also served as the elected representative to Ward 2 on the Brownsburg Town Council.
- B.S. in computer technology - Purdue University
Indiana Auditor (August-December, 2013)
Sawyer was appointed in August 2013 and his resignation took effect on December 15, 2013. He was appointed by Gov. Pence to replace former auditor Tim Berry, who created an unscheduled vacancy in the office when he was elected chair of the Indiana Republican Party.
Had Sawyer remained in office, he would have been eligible to seek election to a full term as Indiana Auditor of State in 2014. Before he appointed Sawyer as Berry's replacement, Gov. Pence said he was looking for someone who was not only qualified to fill the role temporarily, but also interested in a longer-term commitment to the auditor's office. Thus, Sawyer's appointment implied that he would run for a four-year term in 2014, and made his abrupt resignation in November 2013 all the more surprising. The general election takes place November 4, 2014.
Sawyer was appointed as Indiana Auditor of State by Gov. Mike Pence (R) on August 15, 2013. Pence stated, "I chose Dwayne Sawyer to be the auditor of state because he's the best person for the job."
Sawyer and his wife, Melissa, have three children together: Cassandra, Grace and Garrett.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Dwayne + Sawyer + Indiana + Auditor"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Indiana Auditor of State, "Homepage," accessed August 21, 2013
- Indiana Governor Mike Pence, "Press Release: GOVERNOR TO ATTEND SWEARING-IN OF AUDITOR DWAYNE SAWYER, CHAIR CAREER COUNCIL MEETING," August 19, 2013
- Indiana Governor Mike Pence, "Press Release: Governor Pence Names Suzanne Crouch New Auditor of the State," December 16, 2013
- Herald Bulletin, "Party leaders surprised by Sawyer resignation," November 28, 2013
- WishTV.com, "State Auditor Dwayne Sawyer resigns," November 26, 2013
- Indiana Public Media, "Tim Berry Confirmed As Republican Party Chair," July 23, 2013
- NWI Politics, "Governor seeks 'best' state auditor," July 11, 2013
- ‘’WTHR.com,’’ “Sawyer sworn in as new Indiana state auditor,” August 19, 2013
- Elect Dwayne Sawyer for Brownsburg Town Council, "About," accessed August 25, 2013
- NBC News, "Dwayne Sawyer named as new Indiana auditor," August 15, 2013
- WTHR.com, "Sawyer to take oath as new auditor today," August 19, 2013
Tim Berry (R)
|Indiana Auditor of State
August 19, 2013 - December 15, 2013
| Succeeded by|
Erin Sheridan (Interim)
State of Indiana
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Auditor of State | State Examiner | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Commissioner of Insurance | Director of Agriculture | Director of Natural Resources | Commissioner of Labor | Chairman of Utility Regulatory Commission |