|Hawaii Director of Labor and Industrial Relations|
|February 12, 2011 - Present|
|Years in position||3|
|Elections and appointments|
|Appointed||November 30, 2010|
|Appointed by||Governor Neil Abercrombie|
|Hawaii State Senate, District 1|
|Hawaii House of Representatives|
|Bachelor's||University of Hawaii at Manoa|
|J.D.||University of Hawaii William Richardson School of Law (1978)|
|Birthday||January 29, 1953|
|Place of birth||Honoka'a, Hawaii|
- 1 Biography
- 2 Political career
- 3 Elections & Appointments
- 4 Campaign donors
- 5 Scorecards
- 6 Personal
- 7 Recent news
- 8 See also
- 9 External links
- 10 References
Takamine is a practicing attorney of over 30 years, and has worked at the following firms: Bouslong and Symonds from 1978 to 1979, King, Nakamura, Nakamura and Takahashi from 1979 to 1981, Herbert R Takahashi from 1981 to 1983, and Dwight Y. Takamine from 1983 to the present.
He holds a bachelor's degree in Psychology from the University of Hawaii at Manoa and a J.D. from the University of Hawaii William S. Richardson School of Law. Takamine has been an attorney
- Bachelor's degree in Psychology - University of Hawaii at Manoa
- Juris Doctor - University of Hawaii William Richardson School of Law (1978)
Hawaii Director of Land and Industrial Relations (2010-present)
Takamine was named Director of Labor and Industrial Relations by Governor Neil Abercrombie on November 30, 2010. His appointment was confirmed by the Hawaii Senate on February 12, 2011. The director heads the Department of Labor and Industrial Relations, the state agency that administers Hawaii's labor regulations, its unemployment insurance and workforce development programs, and produces research and statistics regarding the state labor market. As the director of labor and industrial relations holds a term coterminous with that of his appointing governor, Takamine's term will end in December 2014.
Hawaii State Legislature (1984-2010)
Takamine served in the Hawaii State House from 1984 to 2008. He then joined the Hawaii State Senate in 2008. He served in that position, representing the 1st District, until his appointment as Director of the state Department of Labor and Industrial Relations.
Takamine was serving on the following committees when he left the Senate:
- Committee on Higher Education, Hawaii Senate
- Committee on Judiciary and Government Operations, Hawaii Senate
- Committee on Labor, Hawaii Senate
- Committee on Water, Land, Agriculture and Hawaiian Affairs, Hawaii Senate
Elections & Appointments
Takamine was appointed Director of Labor and Industrial Relations for the state of Hawaii by Governor Neil Abercrombie on November 30, 2010. His appointment was confirmed by the Hawaii Senate on February 12, 2011. As the director of labor and industrial relations holds a term coterminous with that of his appointing governor, Takamine's term will end in December 2014.
On November 4, 2008, Takamine won election to the Hawaii State Senate from Hawaii's 1st Senate District. Takamine received 12,972 votes in the election, defeating Ted Hong (R), who received 7,560 votes. Additionally, 1,013 "Blank" votes and 11 "Over" votes were cast in the election. Takamine raised $300,113 for his campaign; Hong raised $160,068.
|Hawaii State Senate, District 1 (2008)|
|Dwight Takamine (D)||12,972||60.2%|
|Ted Hong (R)||7,560||35.1%|
Comprehensive donor information for Takamine is available dating back to 1998. Based on available campaign finance records, Takamine raised a total of $734,948 during that time period. This information was last updated on July 9, 2013.
In 2008, Takamine collected $300,113 in donations. His five largest contributors were as follows:
|Ironworkers Local 625||$5,500|
|Hawaii Carpenters Local 745||$4,500|
|University of Hawaii Professional Assembly||$4,000|
|Longshore and Warehouse Local 142||$4,000|
|Hawaii State Teachers Association||$3,900|
Hawaii Grassroot Institute
- See also: Hawaii Grassroot Institute Scorecard
The Grassroot Institute issued its 2010 Legislative Score Card that tallied the votes of Hawaii legislators and graded their votes based on the Institute's values of individual liberty, free markets, and limited government. The Institute observed state legislators' votes on issues involving taxes, spending, scope of government, business climate, and raids on special funds. Takamine received a total score of 5%. Here are the scores Takamine received based on specific categories.
|2010 Hawaii Senate Legislative Scorecard|
|Taxes||Business climate||Spending||Individual liberty||Raids||Scope of government|
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Dwight + Takamine + Hawaii + Labor"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Hawaii Director of Labor and Industrial Relations
- Labor Commissioner
- Governor of Hawaii
- Current Gov. of Hawaii Neil Abercrombie (D)
- Hawaii Department of Labor and Industrial Relations
- Dwight Takamine's personal website
- Official Hawaii Senate profile
- Legislative profile on Vote Smart
- Bio on Vote Smart
- Campaign Contributions: 2008, 2006, 2004, 2002, 2000, 1998
- Dwight Takamine on Facebook
- Hawaii Department of Labor and Industrial Relations, "Home," accessed June 17, 2013
- Big Island Video News, "Takamine to head Hawaii state labor department," November 30, 2010.
- Honolulu Star Advertiser, "Young and Takamine named to Abercrombie's Cabinet," November 30, 2010
- Hawaii Senate official election results for 2008
- District 1 Hawaii Senate candidate funds, 2008
- Follow the Money, "Career fundraising for Dwight Y. Takamine," accessed July 9, 2013
- 2008 contributions to Dwight Takamine
- Grassroot Institute of Hawaii "2010 Legislative Score Card," accessed October 23, 2013
- Project Vote Smart, "Dwight Takamine's Biography," accessed March 10, 2013
|Hawaii State Senate - District 1
| Succeeded by|
|Hawaii Director of Labor and Industrial Relations
| Succeeded by|