Eau Claire Area School District elections (2014)
Method of election
Eau Claire Area School District
Eau Claire County, Wisconsin ballot measures
Local ballot measures, Wisconsin
Two seats on the Eau Claire Board of Education were up for general election on April 1, 2014. Incumbent Trish Cummins and newcomer Charles Vue won election to the board without opposition. Vue ran for the seat previously held by board president Carol Craig, who did not file for re-election.
About the districtEau Claire County. According to the United States Census Bureau, Eau Claire is home to 66,966 residents. Eau Claire Area School District is the eighth-largest school district in Wisconsin, serving 10,914 students during the 2010-2011 school year.
Eau Claire outperformed the rest of Wisconsin in terms of higher education achievement in 2010. The United States Census Bureau found that 33.8 percent of Eau Claire residents aged 25 years and older had attained a bachelor's degree compared to 26.4 percent for Wisconsin as a whole. The median household income in Eau Claire was $43,410 compared to $52,627 for the state of Wisconsin. The poverty rate in Eau Claire was 19.3 percent compared to 12.5 percent for the entire state.
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin rather than a race. Citizens may report both their race and their place of origin, and as a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table may exceed 100 percent.
Method of board member selection
The Eau Claire Board of Education consists of seven members elected at-large to three-year terms. There was no primary election and the general election was held on April 1, 2014. Two seats will be on the ballot in April 2015 and three seats will be up for election in April 2016.
Candidates for the Board of Education must be 18 years old, citizens of the United States and residents of the district at least 10 days before the election. Each candidate submitted at least 100 valid signatures to the Eau Claire County Clerk by January 7, 2014.
- Trish Cummins
- Board member, 2006-2009
- Charles Vue
- Graduate, University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire and University of Wisconsin-Madison
- Associate director, University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire Office of Multicultural Affairs
|Eau Claire Area School District, At-large General Election, 3-year term, April 1, 2014|
|Nonpartisan||Trish Cummins Incumbent||50.2%||10,207|
|Source: Eau Claire County Clerk, "Unofficial Summary Report," April 1, 2014|
No candidate received an endorsement in this election.
No candidate filed a campaign finance report with the district office. State law allows candidates to claim exempt status from campaign finance reporting if contributions and expenditures do not exceed $1,000 during a calendar year.
Information about earlier elections can be found by clicking [show] at the right.
|December 1, 2013||First day to circulate nominating petitions|
|January 7, 2014||Last day to submit nominating petitions to county clerk|
|March 24, 2014||Last day to file pre-election campaign finance report|
|April 1, 2014||Election day|
|July 21, 2014||Last day to file continuing campaign finance report|
Additional elections on the ballot
The Eau Claire Board of Education election shared the ballot with other local and county elections. Residents of Eau Claire voted on a referendum requiring city officials to seek voter approval for arts and entertainment capital projects exceeding $1 million. The ballot also included the presidency of the City Council, seats on the Eau Claire County Board of Supervisors and two seats on the Wisconsin Circuit Court.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Eau + Claire + Area + School + District"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- School board elections in Alaska and Wisconsin spark debates over budgets, academic performance
- Incumbents dominate school board elections in Alaska, Wisconsin
- Eau Claire Area School District, Wisconsin
- Wisconsin school board elections, 2014
- List of school board elections in 2014
- School board elections, 2014
- Eau Claire County, Wisconsin ballot measures
- Local ballot measures, Wisconsin
- Tom Giffey, Volume One, "It’ll be Lewis vs. Kincaid for council presidency," January 8, 2014
- United States Census Bureau, "Eau Claire, Wisconsin," accessed February 7, 2014
- National Center for Education Statistics, "ELSI Table Generator," accessed January 27, 2014
- Eau Claire County Clerk, "Election Results," accessed February 7, 2014
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014
- Each column will add up to 100 percent after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages, although rounding by the Census Bureau may make the total one- or two-tenths off from being exactly 100 percent. This Ballotpedia page provides a more detailed explanation of how the Census Bureau handles race and ethnicity in its surveys.
- Wisconsin Government Accountability Board, "Ballot Access Checklist," accessed January 24, 2014
- Wisconsin Government Accountability Board, "Campaign Finance Overview: Local Candidates," May 2010
- Wisconsin Government Accountability Board, "Campaign Finance Checklist," accessed February 7, 2014
- Wisconsin Government Accountability Board," "2014 Spring Election Offices to be Elected," December 4, 2013 (dead link)
- City of Eau Claire, "Elections," accessed February 10, 2014
|2014 Eau Claire Area School District Elections|
|Eau Claire, Wisconsin|
|Election date:||April 1, 2014|
|Candidates:||At-large: • Trish Cummins • Charles Vue|
|Important information:||Key deadlines • Additional elections on the ballot|