Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|U.S. House, Florida, District 13|
|Elections and appointments|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
Jany previously was a Republican, but switched to the Democratic Party on October 2, 2013, out of frustration with the 2013 federal government shutdown. Florida law states that candidates cannot run for a party's nomination unless they have been registered in the party for at least one year. Jany officially ran as an Independent candidate with no political affiliation, despite being recruited and having benefited from considerable support from the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee.
Jany attended a military high school and enlisted in the Army two days after turning 17. After completing basic training, Jany attended the University of Minnesota. He joined the school's Reserve Officers Training Corps, or ROTC, program. However, he failed to finish the necessary requirements for his degree.
Jany was criticized for listing a degree from Madison University on his LinkedIn account. Jany insisted that the school, often described as a diploma mill without a campus or classes, is a legitimate institution.
Jany works as a director for Mutualink, a Connecticut firm providing communications and training services to police and military. He is a former police officer and was wounded in the line of duty.
In a statement on May 13, 2014, Jany said an inability to balance the campaign with his professional demands was the reason for ending his campaign.
“It is with deep regret that I announce my withdrawal from the race for U.S. Representative in the Thirteenth District. In my professional capacity, I am responsible for coordinating some of the Command and Control for Security at the World Cup in Brazil this year, something I committed to doing some time ago. I wrongly assumed that I could maintain my professional work requirements while running for office," he said.
When he filed to run for the seat, Jany did not live in the district. He said he hoped to move to Pinellas County in June 2014.
- Florida's 13th Congressional District elections, 2014
- Florida's 13th Congressional District
- Florida elections, 2014
- United States House of Representatives elections, 2014
- United States House of Representatives
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Ed + Jany + Florida + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Florida Election Division, "Candidate Listing for 2014 General Election," accessed May 5, 2014
- Tampa Bay Times, "Ed Jany drops out of race against David Jolly," accessed May 14, 2014
- Tampa Bay Times, "'Democrat' and Libertarian file to run against Jolly in Pinellas congressional race," accessed May 5, 2014
- Roll Call, "House Democrats Boost David Jolly Challenger," accessed May 6, 2014
- Tampa Bay Times, "Congressional candidate's educational record on website is dubious," accessed May 13, 2014
- Washington Post, "Democrat Jany ends campaign against David Jolly less than two weeks after launching bid," accessed May 14, 2014
State of Florida
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Chief Financial Officer | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Agriculture and Consumer Services | Commissioner of Insurance Regulation | Secretary of Environmental Protection | Director of Economic Opportunity | Chair of Public Service Commission |