Eden Prairie Schools elections (2013)
Method of election
What was at stake?
Eden Prairie Schools
Hennepin County, Minnesota ballot measures
Local ballot measures, Minnesota
Three seats on the Eden Prairie Schools school board were up for general election on November 5, 2013. Incumbent Ranee Jacobus and newcomers Holly Link and Elaine Larabee defeated Tim Laurie and Murshid Barud to win the three at-large seats.
About the district
- See also: Eden Prairie Schools, Minnesota
Eden Prairie outperformed the rest of Minnesota in terms of its median rates of average household income, poverty rate and higher education achievement in 2011. The median household income in Eden Prairie was $91,711 compared to $58,476 for the state of Minnesota. The poverty rate in Eden Prairie was 5.3% compared to 11.0% for the entire state. The United States Census Bureau also found that 60.5% of Eden Prairie residents aged 25 years and older attained a bachelor's degree compared to 31.8% in Minnesota.
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin, not a race. Therefore, the Census allows citizens to report both their race and that they are from a "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin simultaneously. As a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table will exceed 100 percent. Each column will add up to 100 percent after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages.
Method of board member selection
The Eden Prairie school board consists of seven members elected to four-year terms at-large by the district as a whole. There was no primary election and the general election was held on November 5, 2013. Three seats were on the ballot in 2013.
Candidates began filing affidavits of candidacy on July 30. The filing deadline for school board candidates to get on the ballot in the 2013 general election was August 13.
|Eden Prairie Schools, At-large General Election, 4-year term, 2013|
|Nonpartisan||Ranee Jacobus Incumbent||23%||3,920|
|Source: Office of the Minnesota Secretary of State, "Results for Selected Contests in School District No. 272 - Eden Prairie," accessed December 18, 2013|
Candidates received a total of $16,541.34 and spent a total of $13,400.58 during the election, according to the district office. State law does not require campaign finance reporting if contributions or expenditures do not exceed $750 in a calendar year.
|Candidate||Contributions||Expenditures||Cash on hand|
Information about earlier elections can be found by clicking [show] at the right.
What was at stake?
There were three seats on the school board up for election on November 5, 2013. Incumbent board Chair Ranee Jacobus sought re-election, while fellow incumbents Suzanne Kutina and Chuck Mueller did not file for re-election. Jacobus competed with newcomers Holly Link, Elaine Larabee, Tim Laurie and Murshid Barud for the three seats.
The following dates were key deadlines for the Eden Prairie Schools election in 2013:
|July 30, 2013||First day to file affidavits of candidacy|
|August 13, 2013||Last day to file affidavits of candidacy|
|November 5, 2013||Election day|
Additional elections on the ballot
This election only shared the ballot with two school district referendums. Question 1, which failed, would have replaced the existing operating levy of $1,306 per pupil unit with a new levy of $2,269 per pupil unit, beginning with the 2014-15 school year. Question 2, which passed, renewed the current capital projects and technology levy of 6.52845% for ten years, beginning with the 2015-16 school year.
- School board elections review: Voters opt for experience over new blood in nation's largest school districts
- School board election wrap-up: Incumbents re-elected overwhelmingly in November 5 elections
- Eden Prairie Schools, Minnesota
- List of school board elections in 2013
- Hennepin County, Minnesota ballot measures
- Local ballot measures, Minnesota
- United States Census Bureau, "Hennepin County, Minnesota," accessed October 14, 2013
- United States Census Bureau, "Eden Prairie (city), Minnesota," accessed October 14, 2013
- Office of the Minnesota Secretary of State, "Election Results and Statistics," accessed October 14, 2013
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014
- Eden Prairie Schools, "Elections," accessed October 14, 2013
- Natalie Conrad, Sun Current, "Five candidates file for three open spots in Eden Prairie school board election," August 14, 2013
- Vote Holly Link, For Eden Prairie School Board, "Why I'm Running," accessed October 21, 2013
- Barud for School Board, "Endorsements," accessed October 21, 2013
- Information received in an email to Ballotpedia from district election clerk Laurie Hemstock on February 13, 2014
- Minnesota Secretary of State, "Campaign Finance," accessed February 11, 2014
- Eden Prairie Schools, "Board Votes to Schedule November 5 Referendum Election," accessed October 14, 2013