Edison Township Public Schools elections (2014)
Method of election
Edison Township Public Schools
Middlesex County, New Jersey ballot measures
Local ballot measures, New Jersey
Three seats on the Edison Township Public Schools Board of Education were up for general election on April 23, 2014. Incumbent board members Jerry Shi and Frank Heelan filed for re-election in a race against six challengers, while Board President Gene I. Maeroff decided not to run. Shi, Heelan and newcomer Shivi Prasad campaigned as a slate for the three at-large seats. Chang-Hui Shen, Beth Moroney and Kiel Thoms ran as the "Team E3" slate. Incumbents Shi and Heelan won re-election, although "Team E3" slate member Moroney won the third seat over Shi and Heelan's fellow slate member, Prasad.
About the districtMiddlesex County, New Jersey. The county seat of Middlesex County is New Brunswick. Middlesex County is home to 823,041 residents, according to the United States Census Bureau. Edison Township is the sixth-largest school district in New Jersey, serving 14,224 students during the 2011-2012 school year.
Middlesex County outperformed the rest of New Jersey in terms of higher education achievement in 2012. The United States Census Bureau found that 39.8 percent of Middlesex County residents aged 25 years and older had attained a bachelor's degree compared to 35.4 percent for New Jersey as a whole. The median household income in Middlesex County was $79,442 compared to $71,637 for the state of New Jersey. The poverty rate in Middlesex County was 8.0 percent compared to 9.9 percent for the entire state.
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin, not a race. Therefore, the Census allows citizens to report both their race and that they are from a "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin simultaneously. As a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table will exceed 100 percent. Each column will add up to 100 percent after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages.
Method of board member selection
The Edison Township Board of Education consists of nine members elected to three-year terms at-large by the district as a whole. There was no primary election and the general election was on April 23, 2014. Three seats were up for election in 2014 and three seats will be up for election in 2015.
The filing deadline for school board candidates to get on the ballot in the general election was March 4, 2014 and the deadline to amend a petition or withdraw was March 10, 2014.
|Edison Township Public Schools, At-Large General Election, 3-year term, 2014|
|Nonpartisan||Frank Heelan Incumbent||17.7%||2,089|
|Nonpartisan||Jerry Shi Incumbent||15%||1,768|
|Source: Edison Township Public Schools, "Public BOE Meeting - Reorganization Meeting," April 28, 2014|
No candidates received endorsements for their campaigns.
No candidates filed campaign finance reports with the New Jersey Election Law Enforcement Commission during the election.
Information about earlier elections can be found by clicking [show] at the right.
The following dates were key deadlines for the Edison Township Public Schools election in 2014:
|March 4, 2014||Last day to file nominating petitions|
|March 10, 2014||Last day to withdraw or amend a nomination petition|
|March 13, 2014||Drawing of names for candidate positions on the ballot|
|March 26, 2014||Last day to file first campaign finance report|
|April 14, 2014||Last day to file second campaign finance report|
|April 23, 2014||Election day|
|May 13, 2014||Last day to file final campaign finance report|
Additional elections on the ballot
This election shared the ballot only with a successful tax levy to raise $193,997,198 for Edison Township Public Schools for the 2014-2015 school year. This is a 2.0% increase from the 2013-2014 tax levy.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Edison + Township + Public + Schools + New + Jersey"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- New Jersey
- Edison Township Public Schools, New Jersey
- New Jersey school board elections, 2014
- List of school board elections in 2014
- School board elections, 2014
- Middlesex County, New Jersey ballot measures
- Local ballot measures, New Jersey
- Brawling in Newark headlines New Jersey school board elections
- Slates, incumbents prevail in New Jersey school board elections
- Edison Township Public Schools
- Edison Township, New Jersey
- Middlesex County Board of Elections
- Shi, Heelan and Prasad slate campaign website
- Shen, Moroney and Thomas "Team E3" slate campaign website
- Edison School Network TV, "Edison Board of Education - 2014 Election Ballot Position Name Drawing," accessed March 17, 2014
- Heelan, Shi & Prasad for Edison BOE, "About Us," accessed March 17, 2014
- Facebook, "E3 for Edison BOE," accessed April 18, 2014
- The Alternative Press, "Board of Education Election Unofficial Results: Moroney, Heelan and Shi Top Three," April 24, 2014
- United States Census Bureau, "Middlesex County, New Jersey," accessed February 18, 2014
- National Center for Education Statistics, "ELSI Table Generator," accessed April 22, 2014
- State of New Jersey - Department of State, "Statewide Voter Registration Summary," September 24, 2013
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014
- Edison Township Public Schools, "Meet the Board," accessed February 18, 2014
- Edison Township Public Schools, "Nominating Petition for Annual School Election," accessed February 18, 2014
- New Jersey Election Law Enforcement Commission, "View a Candidate or Election Related Committee Report," accessed April 22, 2014
- Edison Township Public Schools, "Edison Board of Education Adopted Budget - 2014-15," accessed April 24, 2014
|2014 Edison Township Public Schools Elections|
|Middlesex County, New Jersey|
|Election date:||April 23, 2014|
|Candidates:||At-large: • Incumbent, Jerry Shi • Incumbent, Frank Heelan • Patrick Amaral • Kiel Thoms • Beth Moroney • Shivi Prasad • Chang-Hui Shen • Naseeruddin Mohammad|
|Important information:||Key deadlines • Additional elections on the ballot|