Edmond Public Schools elections (2014)
Method of election
What was at stake?
Edmonds Public Schools
Oklahoma County, Oklahoma ballot measures
Local ballot measures, Oklahoma
About the district
- See also: Edmond Public Schools, Oklahoma
Edmond outperformed in comparison to the rest of Oklahoma in terms of higher education achievement in 2012, median household income and percentage of residents living above the poverty level. The United States Census Bureau found that 50.7 percent of Edmond residents aged 25 years and older had attained a bachelor's degree compared to 23.2 percent for Oklahoma as a whole. The median household income in Edmond was $71,216 compared to $44,891 for the state of Oklahoma. The poverty rate in Edmond was 10.6 percent compared to 16.6 percent for the entire state.
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin, not a race. Therefore, the Census allows citizens to report both their race and that they are from a "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin simultaneously. As a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table will exceed 100 percent. Each column will add up to 100 percent after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages, although rounding by the Census Bureau may make the total one- or two-tenths off from being exactly 100 percent. This Ballotpedia page provides a more detailed explanation of how the Census Bureau handles race and ethnicity in its surveys.
Method of board member selection
The Edmond school board consists of five members elected to five-year terms by geographic electoral districts. There was no primary election, and the general election was held on February 11, 2014. If no candidate had received a majority of the vote, a runoff election would have been held on April 1, 2014. The Area 4 seat was on the ballot in 2014 and the Area 5 seat will be on the ballot in 2015.
Candidates began to file affidavits of candidacy on December 2, 2013. The filing deadline for school board candidates to get on the ballot in the general election was December 4, 2013 and the deadline to contest a candidacy was December 6, 2013.
- Cynthia Benson
- Community volunteer
- Stephanie Bills
- Incumbent board member
On February 11, 2014, Cynthia Benson defeated Stephanie Bills in the general election.
|Edmond Public Schools Board of Education, 5 Year Term At Large General Election, 2014|
|Source: Oklahoma State Election Board, "OFFICIAL RESULTS: Oklahoma County," accessed April 10, 2014|
No candidate received official endorsements in this election.
No candidate filed a campaign finance report with the Oklahoma Ethics Commission.
Information about earlier elections can be found by clicking [show] at the right.
|December 2, 2013||First day to file affidavits of candidacy|
|December 4, 2013||Last day to file affidavits of candidacy|
|December 6, 2013||Last day to contest a candidacy|
|February 1, 2014||Last day to file first campaign finance report|
|February 11, 2014||Election day|
|March 23, 2014||Last day to file second campaign finance report|
|April 1, 2014||Runoff election (if necessary)|
|August 21, 2014||Last day to file final campaign finance report|
Additional elections on the ballot
No other elections appeared on the local ballot.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Edmond + Public + Schools + Oklahoma"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Edmond Public Schools, Oklahoma
- Oklahoma school board elections, 2014
- List of school board elections in 2014
- School board elections, 2014
- Comanche County, Oklahoma ballot measures
- Local ballot measures, Oklahoma
- Election preview: 2014 school board elections start quietly in Oklahoma
- Post election:Oklahoma school board elections see low turnout, most uncontested
- United States Census Bureau, "Edmond, Oklahoma," accessed January 15, 2014
- National Center for Education Statistics, "ELSI Table Generator," accessed January 14, 2014
- Oklahoma, "MESA - Current Registration Statistics by County," accessed January 15, 2014
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014
- Oklahoma County.org, "Dates Set For School Board Of Education Election," November 22, 2013
- Edmond Public Schools, "Board of Education," accessed January 15, 2014
- Oklahoma, "2014 Instructions for Filing for Annual School Elections," accessed January 14, 2014
- Oklahoma, "Candidate Information," accessed January 14, 2014
- Oklahoma, "Generic Calendar for Filing Campaign Contributions and Expenditure Reports(C-1's)," accessed January 14, 2014
|2014 Edmond Public Schools Elections|
|Election date:||February 11, 2014|
|Candidates:||Area 4: • Cynthia Benson • Incumbent, Stephanie Bills|
|Important information:||What was at stake? • Key deadlines • Additional elections on the ballot|