Edmonds School District, Washington
|Edmonds School District|
|Number of schools:||33|
|Website:||School Home Page|
|Board of Education|
|Board president:||Ann McMurray|
- 1 About the district
- 2 Superintendent
- 3 School Board
- 4 Budget
- 5 Teacher salaries
- 6 Schools in district
- 7 Academic performance
- 8 Contact information
- 9 Website evaluation
- 10 External links
- 11 References
About the district
Edmonds outpaced state averages for higher education achievement, median income, and poverty rate. The percentage of city residents over 25 years old with undergraduate degrees (43.6%) is above the state average (31.4%). The 2010 U.S. Census calculated Edmonds's median income at $72,452 while the state median income was $58,890. Edmonds had a poverty rate of 7.8% in the 2010 U.S. Census while the state rate was 12.5%.
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin, not a race. Therefore, the Census allows citizens to report both their race and that they are from a "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin simultaneously. As a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table will exceed 100.0%. Each column will add up to 100.0% after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages.
The current Superintendent is Nick J. Brossoit, Ed.D. He previously served as the Superintendent of Tumwater School District from 1994 to 2004. In 2011-2012, Brossoit earned $229,462 in total compensation including $199,546 in salary, $20,700 in bonuses and stipends and $9,216 in benefits).
The Edmonds School Board is a five-member board with each member elected by district to a four-year term. Each member can be compensated $50 per day for district matters with a maximum compensation of $4,800 per year.
School board elections
- See also: Edmonds School District elections (2013)
Members of the Edmonds School Board are elected to four-year terms on a staggered basis. Two seats were up for election on November 5, 2013 and three seats will be on the ballot on November 3, 2015.
The Edmonds School District's budget is published on its website.
|Expenditures by Category|
|School Year||Staff Expenses||Student Services||Operational Expenses||Debt Service||Other||Budget Total|
|Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget|
Edmonds School District employed 1,064 K-12 teachers during the 2012-2013 school year. Teacher salaries are categorized based on higher education achievement, professional development and years of service. A teacher with a Bachelor's degree can earn higher salaries by pursuing graduate courses with raises at 15, 30, 45, 90 and 135 quarter credits. The current salary schedule establishes higher starting salaries and maximum salaries for teachers with graduate degrees. The following table details the salary schedule for the 2013-2014 school year:
|Degree level||Minimum salary ($)||Maximum salary ($)|
Teachers in the district are represented by the Edmonds Education Association (EEA). The EEA is governed by a 12-member board currently led by Andi Nofziger-Meadows.
Schools in district
The district served 20,105 K-12 students during the 2012-2013 school year. The district experienced a 0.9% increase in enrollment between 2008 and 2012. The following chart details enrollment in the district between 2008 and 2012:
|Year||Enrollment||Year-to-year change (%)|
Edmonds School District operates 33 K-12 schools listed below in alphabetical order:
|Edmonds School District|
|Alderwood Middle School|
|Beverly Elementary School|
|Brier Elementary School|
|Brier Terrace Middle School|
|Cedar Valley Community School|
|Cedar Way Elementary School|
|Chase Lake Community School|
|College Place Elementary School|
|College Place Middle School|
|Edmonds Elementary School|
|Edmonds Heights K-12|
|Edmonds-Woodway High School|
|Hazelwood Elementary School|
|Hilltop Elementary School|
|Lynndale Elementary School|
|Lynnwood Elementary School|
|Lynnwood High School|
|Maplewood Parent Cooperative|
|Martha Lake Elementary School|
|Meadowdale Elementary School|
|Meadowdale High School|
|Meadowdale Middle School|
|Mountlake Terrace Elementary School|
|Mountlake Terrace High School|
|Oak Heights Elementary|
|Scriber Lake High School|
|Seaview Elementary School|
|Sherwood Elementary School|
|Spruce Elementary School|
|Terrace Park School|
|Westgate Elementary School|
The Washington Office of the Superintendent of Public Instruction published a state report card for 2011-2012 assessing subject proficiency levels and year-to-year progress for each district. This report card relies on data from the Measurements of Student Progress (MSP) and High School Proficiency Exam (HSPE) to determine if each district meets Annual Yearly Progress (AYP) goals in reading and math. The goal for each district is to meet proficiency goals at all grade levels and student demographics by the 2013-2014 school year.
Edmonds School District met the state goal of 95% participation across all grade levels. The district did not meet AYP goals for reading at the middle school and high school levels.
|Student Proficiency Levels, 2011-2012|
|Grade||Reading (%)||Math (%)|
|Transparency grading process|
- Main article: Evaluation of Washington school district websites
Last rated on May 14, 2012.
- Budget information is posted.
- Administrative Officials
- Contact information is provided.
- Elected Officials
- School Board members are listed with contact information.
- Meeting schedule, agendas, and minutes available.
- Two years of audits are posted, along with link to audit archives.
- Bid information is posted.
- Public Records
- Public records request form and contact information provided.
- State testing results are posted.
- Tax information is not provided.
- Background Checks
- Background check policy is not available.
- Vendor contracts and collective bargaining agreements are not posted.
- Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction, "Student Enrollment Cohort Projections," accessed August 13, 2013
- 2010 U.S. Census, "Quick Facts: Edmonds," accessed August 6, 2013
- Snohomish County Auditor, "Past Election Results," accessed August 6, 2013
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014
- Edmonds School District, "Superintendent," accessed August 13, 2013
- Pacific Lutheran University, "Nick Brossoit," accessed August 13, 2013
- Know Spokane, "Washington State School Salaries: 2011-2012," accessed August 13, 2013
- Edmonds School District, "School Board," accessed August 13, 2013
- Edmonds School District, "Summary of General Fund Budget," accessed December 3, 2013
- Edmonds School District, "2013-14 Basic Salary Schedule," accessed August 13, 2013
- Edmonds Education Association, "Executive Board," accessed August 13, 2013
- Edmonds School District, "Our Schools & Programs Director," accessed August 13, 2013
- Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction, "Washington State Report Card," accessed August 6, 2013
- Edmonds School District, "Budget Information," accessed August 13, 2013
- Edmonds School District, "Contacts," accessed August 13, 2013
- Edmonds School District, "State Auditor Reports," accessed August 13, 2013
- Edmonds School District, "Bid Opportunities," accessed August 13, 2013
- Edmonds School District, "Request for Public Record," accessed August 13, 2013
- Edmonds School District, "State Testing," accessed August 13, 2013