For status updates, visit lucyburns.org.
Ballotpedia's coverage of elections held on March 3, 2015, was limited. Select races were covered live, and all results will be added once the merger is complete.
|Olympia Board of Directors, District 3|
|Years in position||7|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 5, 2013|
|First elected||November 3, 2009|
- See also: Olympia School District elections (2013)
Thomson ran for a second term on the board against Brian Tomlinson on November 5, 2013.
|Olympia Board of Directors, Four-year term, District 3, 2013|
|Nonpartisan||Eileen Thomson Incumbent||72.2%||11,422|
|Source: Thurston County Auditor, "November 5, 2013 General Election," November 26, 2013|
Thomson reported no contributions or expenditures to the Washington Public Disclosure Commission.
On October 18, 2013, The Olympian endorsed Thomson for re-election to the school board.
Thomson won her first full term on the board without opposition on November 3, 2009.
|Olympia Board of Directors, District 3, November 3, 2009|
|Source: Thurston County Auditor|
Thomson provided the following statement for the 2013 Local Voters' Pamphlet in Thurston County:
"It is a privilege to have served as a board member for the Olympia School District for the past five years. During this time the district has effectively and efficiently met the educational needs of our students despite tough budget choices. Much work remains and I ask for your support to continue this work.
In the coming years, we must align our curriculum with new state-mandated standards, implement the Teacher/Principal Evaluation Project and continue to maintain fiscal responsibility.
Spending time with teachers, administrators, support staff and students has been a highlight of my service. Community collaboration with the district is vital to the success of our students. I remain committed to meeting the academic, social, emotional and cultural needs of all students with the education they need to become successful citizens."
Note: The above quote is from the candidate's website, which may include some typographical or spelling errors.
What was at stake?
About the district
- See also: Olympia School District, Washington
Olympia outperforms the state average for higher education achievement but lags behind median income and poverty rate. The percentage of city residents over 25 years old with undergraduate degrees (43.3%) exceeds the state average (31.4%). The 2010 U.S. Census calculated Olympia's median income at $52,371 while the state median income was $58,890. Olympia had a poverty rate of 15.8% in the 2010 U.S. Census while the state rate was 12.5%.
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin, not a race. Therefore, the Census allows citizens to report both their race and that they are from a "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin simultaneously. As a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table will exceed 100 percent. Each column will add up to 100 percent after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages, although rounding by the Census Bureau may make the total one or two tenths off from being exactly 100 percent. This Ballotpedia page provides a more detailed explanation of how the Census Bureau handles race and ethnicity in its surveys.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Eileen + Thomson + Olympia + Schools"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Washington school districts
- Olympia School District, Washington
- Olympia School District elections (2013)
- Eileen Thomson for Olympia School District, "About," accessed September 25, 2013
- The Olympian, "16 Seek Olympia School Board Positions," August 1, 2008
- Washington Public Disclosure Commission, "Local Candidates," accessed December 17, 2013
- The Olympian, "Re-elect Eileen Thomson to Olympia School Board," October 18, 2013
- Thurston County Auditor, "Local Voters' Pamphlet," accessed September 25, 2013
- U.S. Census, "Quick Facts: Olympia," accessed September 25, 2013
- Thurston County Auditor, "Election Information and History," accessed September 25, 2013
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014