Elcho School District Referendum (2009)
The district tried to pass a larger referendum in 2008, which failed. Read about it here: Elcho Exceed Revenue Limit (2008).
Passed, with 800 "yes" votes and 632 "no" votes.
The tax impact is estimated to be $0.85 per $1,000 in the first year, then $0.22 in year two and $0.11 for year three. "For the owner of a $100,000 home, a successful referendum would cost $85.17 in additional property taxes next year; $21.87 the second year; and $10.83 the third year."
Wording of referendum
Be it resolved by the School Board of the School District of Elcho, Langlade and Oneida Counties, Wisconsin, that the revenues included in the School District budget be authorized to exceed the revenue limit specified in Section 121.91, Wisconsin Statutes, for the 2009-2010 school year by $820,000 ($460,000 of which will be used to retire District debt and the remainder for operating expenses) and for the 2010-2011 and 2011-2012 school years by $360,000 each year for operating expenses
- Elcho School District website
- Referendum information from the school district
- Elcho school board advances spring vote, Antigo Daily Journal, January 20, 2009
- Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction Referendum Database
- Elcho heads to referendum (dead link), Rhinelander Daily News, March 16, 2009