|Cincinnati Board of Education, At-large|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 5, 2013|
|First elected||November 5, 2013|
Hoffman earned a Bachelor's degree from Colgate University in 1996 and later earned a M.A. in Teaching from Trinity College. She taught at schools in Mississippi for two years and Washington, D.C. before moving to Cincinnati in 2004. Hoffman has worked with Teach for America for more than a decade and currently works with the organization's recruitment team. She and her husband have two children who will attend district schools in 2014.
Hoffman sought election to the board against eight other candidates in the November 5, 2013 general election.
|Cincinnati Board of Education, At-large, 2013|
|Nonpartisan||Melanie Bates Incumbent||18.1%||27,469|
|Nonpartisan||Marcia A. Futel||10.1%||15,368|
|Source: Hamilton County, Ohio Board of Elections, "Official Results," accessed December 13, 2013|
The Brighter Future Fund PAC reported $17,334.05 in ad spending to the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) on October 23, 2013. This filing covered television ads on WLWT supporting Ericka Copeland-Dansby and Elisa Hoffman between October 28 and November 4.
On October 14, 2013, The Cincinnati Enquirer endorsed Hoffman for one of four seats on the board.
Hoffman's campaign website listed the following issues for 2013:
"I’ll listen to parents and community members and respond to their questions, ideas, and concerns."
"We’ll increase the number of high-quality preschool seats in CPS so that our children enter kindergarten on track."
"To make sure we have the best teachers coming into our system, we’ll create a more efficient and effective teacher hiring process."
Note: The above quote is from the candidate's website, which may include some typographical or spelling errors.
What was at stake?
Incumbent Melanie Bates was the only current member of the board seeking re-election in 2013. Eileen Cooper Reed and Catherine Ingram did not file for election and Vanessa White is seeking a seat on the Cincinnati City Council. Bates faced eight other candidates for four available seats on the board.
The district is contending with changing state standards for public schools embodied in the annual Ohio School Report Cards. Cincinnati Public Schools scored a C on the 2012-2013 report for overall performance and only met 45.8% of the state's performance indicators. Superintendent Mary Ronan and board members support strong standards though there is a concern that charter and private schools are not measured by the same standards.
About the district
- See also: Cincinnati Public Schools, Ohio
Cincinnati lags behind the rest of Ohio in terms of median income and poverty rate while outpacing the state in higher education attainment. The 2010 U.S. Census found that 31% of Cincinnati residents over 25 years old held undergraduate degrees compared to a 24.5% rate for the state of Ohio. Cincinnati had a median income of $34,104 in 2010 compared to $48,071 for Ohio. The poverty rate for Cincinnati was 27.4% in 2010 compared to an 14.8% rate for the rest of the state.
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin, not a race. Therefore, the Census allows citizens to report both their race and that they are from a "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin simultaneously. As a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table will exceed 100.0%. Each column will add up to 100.0% after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Elisa + Hoffman + Cincinnati + Schools"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Committee to Elect Elisa Hoffman, "About Elisa," accessed September 12, 2013
- Political Ad Sleuth, "Ad filings in Cincinnati, OH," November 4, 2013
- Federal Communications Commission, "Agreement Form for Political Candidate Advertisements," October 23, 2013
- Ohio Secretary of State, "Elections & Voting: Campaign Finance," accessed December 26, 2013
- Cincinnati Enquirer, "ENDORSEMENT: Leading the public school system," October 14, 2013
- Committee to Elect Elisa Hoffman, "Issues," accessed September 12, 2013
- Local 12, "Ohio's school report cards are in," August 23, 2013
- Ohio Department of Education, "2012-2013 Report Card for Cincinnati Public Schools," accessed September 12, 2013
- U.S. Census, "Quick Facts: Cincinnati," accessed September 13, 2013
- Hamilton County Board of Elections, "Election Results," accessed September 13, 2013
- Smart Voter, "President Contests for Hamilton County," accessed September 13, 2013
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014