|U.S. Senate, California|
|Elections and appointments|
|Next primary||June 3, 2014|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
|Bachelor's||University of California Los Angeles, 1984|
|Birthday||April 4, 1963|
|Place of birth||Bellflower,CA|
Emken graduated from UCLA in 1984 with degrees in Economics and Political Science. She then worked for a number of years in management, financial analysis and corporate operations at IBM. She became an advocate for developmentally disabled children after her son was diagnosed with autism and is a former executive with Autism Speaks.
Emken is running in the 2014 election for the U.S. House to represent California's 7th District. Emken is seeking election as a Republican candidate in the blanket primary on June 3, 2014. The general election takes place November 4, 2014.
The National Republican Congressional Committee added Emken to their "On the Radar" list in November 2013. According to the NRCC, candidates that make this list receive "...the tools they need to run successful, winning campaigns against their Democratic opponents."
Emken ran in the 2012 election for the U.S. Senate, representing California. She and incumbent Dianne Feinstein (D) advanced past the blanket primary on June 5, 2012, defeating David Alex Levitt (D), Nak Shah (D), Diane Stewart (D), Mike Strimling (D), John Boruff (R), Oscar Alejandro Braun (R), Greg Conlon (R), Colleen Shea Fernald (D), Rogelio Gloria (R), Dan Hughes (R), Dennis Jackson (R), Dirk Konopik (R), Donald Krampe (R), Robert Lauten (R), Al Ramirez (R), Nachum Shifren (R), Orly Taitz (R), Rick Williams (R), Gail Lightfoot (L), Kabiruddin Karim Ali (Peace and Freedom), Marsha Feinland (Peace and Freedom), and Don Grundmann (Independent). They faced off in the general election on November 6, 2012. Feinstein won.
|U.S. Senate, California General Election, 2012|
|Democratic||Dianne Feinstein Incumbent||62.5%||7,864,624|
|Source: California Secretary of State "Official Election Results, 2012 General Election"|
Emken's campaign website listed the following issues:
- Government Spending and Budget
- Excerpt: "I am committed to reducing the size and cost of government, reducing the publicly held debt and lowering taxes."
- Economic Growth
- Excerpt: "Small and large American businesses will lead us out of the economic downturn, not more government spending. We must provide our business community the tools needed to grow the economy."
- Accountability in Washington
- Excerpt: "Our elected representatives should have the courage and discipline to properly manage the Nation’s finances without the force of law. Sadly, they don’t. Because of the severity of the crisis, I support a balanced budget amendment movement. The momentum behind this movement will serve to let Congress know the people are serious about debt reduction."
- 2nd Amendment
- Excerpt: "I support the 2nd Amendment and oppose any attempts to weaken it."
- Definition of Marriage / Family Issues
- Excerpt: "I agree with the majority of Californians on this issue: I support traditional marriage."
|Elizabeth Emken (2014) Campaign Finance Reports|
|Report||Date Filed||Beginning Balance||Total Contributions|
for Reporting Period
|Expenditures||Cash on Hand|
|July Quarterly||July 11, 2013||$0.00||$301,819.99||$(13,644.42)||$288,175.57|
|October Quarterly||October 15, 2013||$288,175.57||$100,573.85||$(51,854.69)||$336,894.73|
|Year-End||January 31, 2014||$336,894||$48,605||$(79,372)||$305,826|
|U.S. Senate, California, 2012 - Elizabeth Emken Campaign Contributions|
|Total Raised by Election Winner||$9,797,542|
|Total Spent by Election Winner||$12,152,230|
|Top contributors to Elizabeth Emken's campaign committee|
|Jelly Belly Candy||$5,500|
|Top 5 industries that contributed to campaign committee|
|Securities & Investment||$26,100|
Emken and her husband, Craig Swartz, have three children.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "Elizabeth + Emken + California + Senate"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- United States House of Representatives
- California's 7th Congressional District elections, 2014
- California's 7th Congressional District
- CNN "California Senate Race - 2012 Election Center"
- Campaign website, "About Elizabeth," accessed April 14, 2014
- Roll Call, "House Republicans Put 36 Recruits ‘On the Radar’" accessed November 21, 2013
- Certified list of candidates
- Unofficial election results
- Campaign website, Issues
- Federal Election Commission, "Elizabeth Emken July Quarterly," accessed July 28, 2013
- Federal Election Commission, "Doug Ose October Quarterly," accessed October 29, 2013
- Federal Election Commission, "Elizabeth Emken Year-End," accessed February 10, 2014
- Open Secrets, "Elizabeth Emken 2012 Election Cycle," accessed March 19, 2013
- Biography from Project Vote Smart