Jefferson received her Bachelor's degree in English from the University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff and her Master's degree in Educational Leadership and Administration from Prairie View A&M University. She spent 17 years as a teacher in Alief ISD and is currently a Unit Administrator at Houston Community College.
|Alief Independent School District, Position 4, 3-year term, 2013|
|Nonpartisan||Ella Jefferson Incumbent||49.5%||3,306|
|Source: Harris County, Texas, "November 2013 General Election Official Results," accessed December 12, 2013|
Jefferson was not endorsed in this campaign.
Jefferson reported no contributions or expenditures to the Texas Ethics Commission.
|Alief Independent School District, Position 4, 3-year term, 2009|
|Nonpartisan||Tammi Lovetro Sturm||44.4%||3,496|
|Source: Cumulative Report, 2009 Joint Election," accessed October 8, 2013|
What was at stake?
Four seats were up for election on November 5, 2013. Those elections were for Positions 4, 5, 6 and 7.
Issues that have faced the district in the past have been school funding, student testing and accountability, local governance and control (including vouchers and school tax credits) and federal issues.
About the district
- See also: Alief Independent School District, Texas
Harris County overperformed in comparison to the rest of Texas in terms of higher education achievement in 2012. The United States Census Bureau found that 28.1 percent of Harris County residents aged 25 years and older had attained a bachelor's degree compared to 26.3 percent for Texas as a whole. The median household income in Harris County was $53,160 compared to $51,563 for the state of Texas. The poverty rate in Harris County was 17.9 percent compared to 17.4 percent for the entire state.
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin rather than a race. Citizens may report both their race and their place of origin, and as a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table may exceed 100 percent.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Ella + Jefferson + Alief + Independent + School + District"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Ella Jefferson Accessed August 29, 2013
- Texas Ethics Commission Search Campaign Finance Reports, accessed December 26, 2013
- November 5, 2013 Alief ISD Trustee Election Accessed August 29, 2013
- In the Community, "Alief ISD Key Communicator Message," accessed October 24, 2013
- United States Census Bureau, "Harris County, Texas," accessed August 4, 2014
- Texas Secretary of State, "Harris County," accessed December 31, 2014
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014
- Each column will add up to 100 percent after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages, although rounding by the Census Bureau may make the total one- or two-tenths off from being exactly 100 percent. This Ballotpedia page provides a more detailed explanation of how the Census Bureau handles race and ethnicity in its surveys.