|Florida State Senate, District 34|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
|Florida State Senate, District 25|
|Florida House of Representatives|
|Bachelor's||University of Florida (1980)|
|J.D.||Nova Southeastern University (2003)|
|Birthday||October 17, 1959|
- 1 Biography
- 2 Committee assignments
- 3 Issues
- 4 Elections
- 5 Campaign donors
- 6 Personal
- 7 Recent news
- 8 See also
- 9 External links
- 10 References
Bogdanoff previously served in the Florida State Senate, representing District 25 from 2010 to 2012 and in the Florida House of Representatives, representing District 91 from January 2004-2010. She served on the City of Fort Lauderdale Education Advisory Committee from 1997-2000.
Bogdanoff's professional experience includes working an attorney and consultant.
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Bogdanoff was appointed to these committees:
- Budget Subcommittee on Finance and Tax, Chair
- Banking and Insurance
- Budget Subcommittee on Transportation, Tourism, and Economic Development Appropriations
- Communications, Energy, and Public Utilities
- Governmental Oversight and Accountability
- Joint Select Committee on Collective Bargaining
- Joint Administrative Procedures Alternating Chair
In the 2009-2010 legislative session, Bogdanoff served on these committees:
- Full Appropriations Council on Education & Economic Development
- Full Appropriations Council on General Government & Healthcare
- Finance & Tax Council (Chair)
- Legislative Budget Commission Committee, Florida State Legislature
- Rules & Calendar Council (Vice Chair)
- Select Committee on Seminole Indian Compact Review
Bogdanoff's sponsored legislation in the House included:
- HB 251 - "Beverage Law: Authorizes certain direct shipment of wine; requires licensure of winery shippers; provides requirements for licensure; provides prohibitions"
- HB 1157 - "Property Insurance: Expands uses of moneys in Florida Hurricane Catastrophe Fund to include Florida Hurricane Protection Program costs; revises provisions with respect to issuance & use of revenue bonds & emergency assessments"
- HB 7159 - "Tax on Sales, Use, and Other Transactions: Repeals exemptions for memberships to physical fitness facilities owned or operated by licensed hospital, for specified rentals within premises of theater, for rental, lease, sublease, or license for use of skyboxes & luxury boxes, for ostrich feed, for newspapers, magazines, & newsletter subscriptions delivered by mail, for repair & maintenance labor charges for qualified aircraft, & for sales or leases of qualified aircraft"
For details and a full listing of sponsored bills, see the House site.
Bogdanoff's website highlights the following campaign themes:
Working to Improve our Education System
- Excerpt: "We must do a better job of attracting the best and brightest teachers and principals to our schools, and we must reward both innovation and excellence."
Revitalizing Florida’s Economy
- Excerpt: "My priority is keeping taxes low and getting rid of unnecessary burdensome regulations. These strategies are key to maintaining an environment that fosters job creation."
Protecting Our Natural Resources
- Excerpt: " I will continue to promote policies that recognize the fragile nature of Florida’s environment and its power in rebuilding our economy."
Keep Taxes Low and Reduce Government Spending
- Excerpt: "During these challenging economic times, increasing taxes on hard working Floridians is just simply wrong and is counterproductive to the positive steps we are taking to get the economic engine of Florida moving forward."
Reforming Our Criminal Justice System
- Excerpt: "I believe that our criminal justice system should be transparent and accountable for its mission to protect the public and lower crime rates. We need to re-focus on reforming non-violent inmates by fostering personal responsibility through work, restitution, community service, and treatment."
- See also: Florida State Senate elections, 2014
Elections for the office of Florida State Senate will take place in 2014. A primary election took place August 26, 2014. The general election will be held on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was June 20, 2014. Incumbent Maria Sachs was unopposed in the Democratic primary, while Ellyn Bogdanoff was unopposed in the Republican primary. Sachs will face Bogdanoff in the general election. Joseph "JB" Bensmihen (R) withdrew from the race on June 26, 2014.
- See also: Florida State Senate elections, 2012
Bogdanoff ran in the 2012 election for Florida State Senate District 34. Bogdanoff defeated Mike Lameyer in the Republican primary on August 14, 2012, and was defeated by incumbent Maria Sachs (D) in the general election which took place on November 6, 2012.
|Florida State Senate, District 34, General Election, 2012|
|Democratic||Maria Sachs Incumbent||52.8%||122,430|
|Republican||Ellyn Bogdanoff Incumbent||47.2%||109,329|
|Florida State Senate, District 34 Republican Primary, 2012|
|Ellyn Bogdanoff Incumbent||72.9%||13,724|
- See also: Florida State Senate elections, 2010
| Florida State Senate, District 25 |
2010 General election results
|Ellyn Bogdanoff (R)||82,583||57.66%|
|Kelly Skidmore (D)||53,958||37.67%|
|Miranda Rosenberg (NPA)||6,694||4.67%|
She defeated Carl Domino in the August 24 primary by a margin of 16,433-11,891.
|Florida State Senate, District 25 - Republican Primary (2010)|
On November 4, 2008, Bogdanoff won re-election to the Florida House of Representatives from Florida's 91st District, defeating Chris Chiari (D). Bogdanoff received 38,450 votes in the election while Chiari received 26,594 votes. Bogdanoff raised $548,182 for her campaign; Chiari raised $128,326.
|Florida House of Representatives, District 91|
|Ellyn Bogdanoff (R)||38,450||59.1%|
|Chris Chiari (D)||26,594||40.9%|
Bogdanoff raised $915,652 in campaign contributions in 2010. The largest contributors are listed below.
|Florida State Senate 2010 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Ellyn Bogdanoff's campaign in 2010|
|Florida Republican Party||$108,121|
|Hospital Corp Of America||$4,000|
|Florida Chamber Of Commerce||$4,000|
|Florida Hospital Association||$3,000|
|Southern Gardens Citrus Holding Corp||$2,500|
|Total Raised in 2010||$915,652|
Below are Bogdanoff's top 5 campaign contributors in the 2008 election:
|FL Republican Party||$15,973|
|Hospital Corporation of America||$4,000|
|FL Society of Ambulatory Surgical Centers||$2,500|
|Direct General Insurance Co||$2,500|
Bogdanoff and her husband, Steven, have three children.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Ellyn + Bogdanoff + Florida + Senate
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Florida State Senate
- Florida State Senate District 34
- Florida State Senate elections, 2014
- Florida State Legislature
- Official campaign website
- Ellyn Bogdanoff on Facebook
- Ellyn Bogdanoff on Twitter
- Legislative Profile from Project Vote Smart
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign Contributions: 2010, 2008, 2006, 2004
- Project Vote Smart, "Biography," accessed June 23, 2014
- Blog 4 President, "Jon Huntsman Announces The Endorsement of State Senator Ellyn Bogdanoff and Coral Gables Mayor and former U.S. Ambassador Jim Cason," August 17, 2011
- ellynbogdanoff.com, "Issues," accessed October 23, 2014
- Florida Division of Elections, "2014 Florida Election Watch - Multi-County or District Offices," accessed September 3, 2014
- Florida Division of Elections, "Candidate Listing for 2014 General Election," accessed June 23, 2014
- Miami Herald, "Bogdanoff's primary opponent withdraws from race," June 27, 2014
- Florida Division of Elections, "Candidate List," accessed April 15, 2012
- Florida Department of Elections, "Official Primary Results," August 14, 2012
- Florida Department of Elections, "November 2, 2010, Election Results," November 2, 2010
- Florida Department of Elections, "Florida House Official Election Results," November 4, 2008
- District 91 Florida House candidate funds, 2008
- Follow the Money - 2010 Campaign contributions
- Follow the Money - 2008 Campaign contributions
|Florida State Senate District 25
| Succeeded by|
Joseph Abruzzo (D)
|Florida House of Representatives District 91
| Succeeded by|