Energy Committee, Mississippi State Senate
The Energy Committee is a standing committee of the Mississippi State Senate. Per Senate Rule 36, the committee is made up of fifteen members. The committee was formed through the merger of the Oil, Gas and Other Minerals Committee and the Public Utilities Committee.
Per Rules 7, 36 and 37 of the Senate Rules, committees of the Mississippi State Senate are appointed by the Lieutenant Governor of Mississippi, who serves as the President of the Senate. After the adoption of Senate Rules, the committees are appointed. The first person named to a committee by the President shall serve as the chair, with the second serving as the vice chair. Any vacancies that have occurred in any committees after members have been appointed will be filled by the President.
See rules: Senate Rules
|“||A committee of the Senate shall report on the sufficiency of the titles of all bills and resolutions before their being put on final passage; and it shall be in order, before the passage of every bill or resolution, to move to commit or recommit for report upon the sufficiency of the title. Titles shall indicate clearly the subject matter of the proposed legislation.||”|
The following table describes committee membership at the beginning of the 2014 legislative session.
|Energy Members, 2014|
|Democratic members (6)||Republican members (9)|
|• Nickey Browning||• Terry Burton, Chair|
|• Kelvin Butler||• Giles Ward, Vice-Chair|
|• Robert Jackson||• Videt Carmichael|
|• Sampson Jackson||• Phillip Gandy|
|• Russell Jolly||• Gary Jackson|
|• Haskins Montgomery||• Chris McDaniel|
|• John Polk|
|• Melanie Sojourner|
|• Sean Tindell|
- Mississippi Legislature, "Senate Rules," accessed January 30, 2014 (Rule 36)
- Public Policy Center of Mississippi, "Senate Committees for 2012," accessed January 30, 2014
- Mississippi Legislature, "Senate Rules," accessed January 17, 2014 (Rules 7, 36 and 37)
- Mississippi Legislature, "Senate Rules," accessed January 17, 2014 (Rule 37)
- Mississippi Legislature, "Senate Rules," accessed January 30, 2014 (Rule 41)
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.