Eric Nelson, West Virginia Delegate
|West Virginia House of Delegates District 35|
|December 1, 2014|
|Years in position||4|
|Per diem||$131/day during session|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
|First elected||November 4, 2010|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
|Bachelor's||Washington and Lee University, 1983|
|Birthday||December 4, 1960|
|Place of birth||Charleston, WV|
|Profession||President, Nelson Enterprises|
Nelson holds a B.S. in business administration and accounting from Washington and Lee University.
Nelson is President of Nelson Enterprises, Inc. The business is an investment company that focuses on real estate, natural resources, money management and entrepreneurial activity in the region. He previously worked for Crestar Bank, City Holding Company, and Mountaineer Capital.
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, Nelson served on the following committees:
|West Virginia Committee Assignments, 2013|
|• Banking, Minority Vice Chair|
|• Finance, Minority Vice Chair|
|• Veterans Affairs and Homeland Security|
|• Joint Finance|
|• Government Operations|
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Nelson served on these committees:
|West Virginia Committee Assignments, 2011|
|• Banking and Insurance|
|• Government Organization|
|• Joint Government Organization|
|• Roads and Transportation|
|• Veterans Affairs and Homeland Security|
Nelson's website highlighted the following campaign themes:
- Excerpt:"I am concerned about the current condition of our state and local economy. We must be proactive in creating employment opportunities in West Virginia through incentivizing business to protect our current job base, as well as, creating opportunities to add new employees."
- Excerpt:"I support stopping the growth of and reducing the waste in government spending. I favor requiring an audit of all state spending and reforming our state's budget process to eliminate waste."
Invest in West Virginia Energy
- Excerpt:"Second to the citizens of West Virginia, are West Virginia's abundant natural resources. I strongly support the production of coal, oil, and gas. As we continue to develop cost effective alternative energy sources, we cannot turn our back on those resources that allow us to have affordable electricity and heating rates."
- "I support improvements in K-12 preparation for college or technical trades."
- "I support rewarding teachers for improved results and teaching techniques."
- "I support the PROMISE scholarship and would support ways to incentivize and work with business to keep more of our graduates at home."
- "I support reducing excessive taxes, particularly those on our West Virginia seniors, disabled, and veterans. Let's make West Virginia more attractive for all retirees to remain home."
- "I support the elimination of the business franchise tax. This tax has a tremendous negative impact on the retention of capital and capital investment by businesses in West Virginia."
- "I support the reduction and ultimate elimination of taxes on business inventory and business equipment. We have long been known for our manufacturing strength, reducing this tax will help bring back our manufacturing and its higher paying jobs."
Elections for the office of West Virginia House of Delegates will consist of a primary election on May 13, 2014, and a general election on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was January 25, 2014.
Nelson won re-election in the 2012 election for West Virginia House of Delegates, District 35. Nelson advanced past the May 8 primary election and won election in the general election which took place on November 6, 2012.
Nelson was elected to the West Virginia House of Delegates District 30. He was one of fourteen candidates running for the seven positions in District 30 on the ballot in the November 2, 2010 general election. He was opposed in the general election by Republican candidates Michael Scott Hall, Brian F. Hicks, Fred Joseph, Daniel "Rick" Barnett, Jim Strawn, and Steve Sweeney; Democratic incumbents Bonnie Brown, Nancy Guthrie, Barbara Hatfield, Mark Hunt, Douglas Skaff, Jr., Sharon Spencer, and Danny Wells. Only the top seven vote-getters were elected.
Comprehensive donor information for Nelson is available dating back to 2010. Based on available campaign finance records, Nelson raised a total of $194,020 during that time period. This information was last updated on July 30, 2013.
|Eric Nelson's Campaign Contribution History|
|2012||West Virginia State House, District 35||$108,990|
|2010||West Virginia State House, District 30||$85,030|
|Grand Total Raised||$194,020|
2012Nelson won re-election to the West Virginia House of Delegates in 2012. During that election cycle, Nelson raised a total of $108,990.
|West Virginia House of Delegates 2012 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Eric Nelson, West Virginia Delegate's campaign in 2012|
|American Electric Power||$2,000|
|Bunn, James O||$2,000|
|West Virginia Chamber of Commerce||$1,750|
|West Virginia Hospital Association||$1,000|
|Total Raised in 2012||$108,990|
|Source:Follow the Money|
2010Nelson won election to the West Virginia House of Delegates in 2010. During that election cycle, Nelson raised a total of $85,030.
|West Virginia House of Delegates 2010 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Eric Nelson, West Virginia Delegate's campaign in 2010|
|Jordon, Andrew B||$2,000|
|West Virginia Chamber of Commerce||$2,000|
|Barnes, M E||$1,000|
|Total Raised in 2010||$85,030|
|Source:Follow the Money|
Nelson and his wife, Pam, have three children.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Eric + Nelson + West + Virginia + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Official campaign website
- Eric Nelson on the West Virginia House of Delegates website
- Biography on Project Vote Smart
- Campaign contributions: 2012, 2010
- Nelson's campaign website - About Eric
- nelsonforhouse.com - Issues
- WBOY.com "West Virginia General Election Results November 6, 2012" Accessed November 7, 2012
- West Virginia Secretary of State, "Statewide Results - General Election - November 6, 2012," accessed February 12, 2014
- West Virginia Secretary of State, "Statewide Results - Primary Election - May 8, 2012," accessed February 12, 2014
- West Virginia Secretary of State, "Statewide Results - General Election - November 2, 2010," accessed February 11, 2014
- West Virginia Secretary of State, "Statewide Results - Primary Election - May 11, 2010," accessed February 11, 2014
- Official Primary Results SOS
- Official General Election Results
- followthemoney.org, "Nelson, Eric," accessed July 30, 2013
State of West Virginia
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | State Auditor | Superintendent of Schools | Commissioner of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Director of Natural Resources | Commissioner of Labor | Chairman of Public Service Commission |