Eric Nelson (Colorado)
|Aurora Public Schools Board of Education, At-large|
|Years in position||1|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 5, 2013|
|First elected||November 5, 2013|
|Service/branch||U.S. Air Force|
Nelson holds Bachelor's and Masters degrees in Psychology. He also earned a Ph.D. in Organizational Psychology from Southeastern University. Nelson is a veteran of the U.S. Air Force. He has owned and operated Global Family Insurance since 2002. Nelson is also an adjunct professor at Colorado State University and the University of Colorado-Denver. He has two children who attended district schools.
- See also: Aurora Public Schools elections (2013)
|Aurora Public Schools Board of Education, At-large, November 5, 2013|
|Nonpartisan||JulieMarie Shepherd Incumbent||22.5%||16,466|
|Source: Adams County Elections, "2013 Coordinated Election," November 27, 2013, Arapahoe County Elections, "2013 Coordinated Election," November 22, 2013|
Nelson received the following endorsements for his 2013 campaign:
- The Aurora Sentinel
- Nancy Jackson, Arapahoe County Commissioner #4
- State Representative Rhonda Fields
- Vorry Moon, Centennial City Councilman District 1
- Carla Turner, Candidate Colorado State Representative HD 39
- John L. Barry, Former Aurora Public Schools Superintendent
Nelson explained his reasons for running in 2013 on his campaign website:
|“|| I am seeking election to the Aurora Public School Board because of my love for our community, passion for our kids and because there is nothing more critical to our city’s future than meeting the challenges facing our schools.
As a veteran community and political organizer, I have the skills and experience to be a new voice and advocate on the school board.
As a member of the school board I will pursue higher levels of academic achievement for all students, foster greater community engagement, and improve administrative accountability in APS.
Note: The above quote is from the candidate's website, which may include some typographical or spelling errors.
What was at stake?
JulieMarie Shepherd was the only incumbent to seek re-election in the 2013 election. Board members Jane Barber, Jeanette Carmany and Matthew Cook were ineligible to run for third terms because of Amendment 17 to the Colorado Constitution, which says that no "elected official of any...school district....shall serve more than two consecutive terms in office."
About the district
- See also: Aurora Public Schools, Colorado
Aurora lagged behind the rest of Colorado in median income, poverty rate and higher education achievement according to the 2010 U.S. Census. The average household income in Aurora was $50,468 compared to $57,685 for the state of Colorado. The poverty rate in Aurora was 16.5% compared to 12.5% for the entire state. The U.S. Census also found that 26.1% of Aurora residents aged 25 years and older earned a Bachelor's degree compared to a 36.3% rate in Colorado.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Eric + Nelson + Aurora + Public + Schools"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- A year after Newtown, rift over guns deepens - Aurora Advocate
- Crowded schools, sparse solutions for APS - Aurora Sentinel
- APS election results verified - Aurora Sentinel
- Entertainment Listings - Vancouver Sun
- Female Body Found Near Gurnee Home Identified By Coroner As Anne Stroll ... - Huffington Post
- 2013 AP Div. III All-Ohio prep football list - Kansas.com
- Close election results delay official results in APS board race - Aurora Sentinel
- Cleveland Arts listings for Nov. 22-28: Singing Angels at PlayhouseSquare & More - Plain Dealer
- Kathryn Stalbaum Found Safe In Chicago - Huffington Post
- Nelson for Aurora, "About Eric," Accessed November 18, 2013
- LinkedIn, "Eric Durane Nelson," Accessed November 18, 2013
- Colorado TRACER, "Candidate Detail," Accessed December 19, 2013
- Nelson for Aurora, "Home," Accessed November 18, 2013
- Aurora Sentinel, "EDITORIAL: Sentinel choices for school board: Cherry Creek: Perlis; APS: Nelson, Armstrong, Shepherd and Drevon," October 24, 2013
- U.S. Census, "Quick Facts: Aurora, Accessed: November 18, 2013
- Colorado Secretary of State, “Voter Registration Numbers,” Accessed October 24, 2013