Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|U.S. Senate, Maine|
|Elections and appointments|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
Time in jail
In January 2014, Bennett insisted that his time spent in jail, the result of a domestic violence assault conviction a decade prior, showed integrity.
In 2003, Bennett was convicted of Class D assault after attacking his wife. He fought the conviction until 2004, when it was affirmed by the Maine Supreme Judicial Court, which ruled that “the court did not commit clear error or abuse its discretion in excluding irrelevant evidence at trial,” and that “sufficient evidence does exist in the record to support his conviction.” Bennett claims he is innocent and said the justice system is stacked against alleged attackers in domestic violence cases.
“All that needs to be done is you have to repeat what you wrote down in the police report and that allows the victim to be viewed as a credible witness. So basically, if someone writes something down, it doesn’t have to be true. All they have to do is repeat that on the stand. … That’s grounds for anyone to be convicted of domestic violence...The fact that I have been jailed repeatedly for not agreeing to admit to something I didn’t do should speak to the fact of how much guts and integrity I have. If I go to D.C., I’m going to have that same integrity in doing what I say, and saying what I do, when it comes to protecting people’s rights, as well as their pocketbooks."
Comment about Rep. Michaud
He posted on Facebook that gun confiscation could “easily happen” in Maine thanks to the state’s elected representatives. He then went on to call Michaud “a closet homo in DC who voted to discriminate against same sex couples.”
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Erick + Bennett + Maine + Senate"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Portland Daily Sun, "Bennett announces primary bid against Collins for U.S. Senate," accessed December 3, 2013
- Seacoast Online, "Conservative Erick Bennett to challenge Sen. Collins in Maine," accessed December 3, 2013
- Bangor Daily News, "Erick Bennett campaign updates, additions to staff," accessed March 18, 2014
- Sun Journal, "GOP candidate says his time in jail shows integrity," accessed January 28, 2014
- Think Progress, "Maine Senate Candidate Calls Gay U.S. Rep. A ‘Homo’," accessed January 28, 2014