Ernest Y. Martin
|Honolulu City Council, District 2|
|January 2011 - Present|
|Years in position||3|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||August 9, 2014|
|First elected||November 2, 2010|
|Bachelor's||University of Hawaii|
|J.D.||University of Hawaii|
Martin holds a B.A. in Sociology from the University of Hawaii and a J.D. from the William S. Richardson School of Law at the University of Hawaii at Manoa.
Martin addressed the following issue on his campaign website:
- Excerpt: "Honolulu would be better served by putting "Families First" and devoting more of our resources toward stable housing for the large number of homeless children and youth. We need to reassess our housing strategy and shift our policies to first helping our needy families and the working poor. Yes, we must still commit to providing a decent level of services to the chronically homeless, but we must face the reality that many of them will never be self-sufficient [...] Affordable housing for low-income families is the most significant assistance government can provide, both short and long term [...] I would like the city to put the bulk of our housing assistance where it can do the most good for the most people. Putting families first can save the lives of children now in temporary shelters or on the street, and give them a reason to hope for better days ahead."
Honolulu, Hawaii held city council elections on November 4, 2014. A primary election took place on August 9, 2014. Because one candidate received more than 50 percent of the vote in the District 2 primary, its general election was cancelled. Incumbent Ernie Martin defeated Dave Burlew and Dan Hara.
|Honolulu City Council, District 2 Nonpartisan Primary, 2014|
|Ernie Martin Incumbent||63.5%||10,831|
|Blank or Over Votes||16.8%||2,868|
|Source: Hawaii Secretary of State - 2014 Primary Results|
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Ernest + Martin + Honolulu"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Honolulu, Hawaii
- Honolulu, Hawaii city council elections, 2014
- United States municipal elections, 2014
- City Councilman Ernie Martin, "About Ernie," accessed on July 31, 2014.
- Campaign Website, "In the News," accessed on August 1, 2014.
- Hawaii Secretary of State, "Official candidate list," accessed June 19, 2014
- Honolulu Civil Beat, "Honolulu City Council: Three Districts Will Have Run-offs in November," August 9, 2014
|Honolulu City Council, District 2
| Succeeded by|