|South Dakota State Senate, District 6|
|January 9, 2017|
|Years in position||2|
|Base salary||$6,000/session; $129/day for interim committees|
|Per diem||$110/legislative day|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 4, 2014|
|First elected||November 6, 2012|
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, Otten served on the following committees:
|South Dakota Committee Assignments, 2013|
|• Agriculture and Natural Resources|
The general elections for the office of South Dakota State Senate took place on November 4, 2014. A primary election took place on June 3, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was March 25, 2014. Mel Zelmer was unopposed in the Democratic primary. Incumbent Ernie Otten was unopposed in the Republican primary. Otten defeated Zelmer in the general election.
|South Dakota State Senate, District 6, General Election, 2014|
|Republican||Ernie Otten Incumbent||71.8%||4,877|
|Source: South Dakota Secretary of State|
Otten won election in the 2012 election for South Dakota House of Representatives District 6. Otten defeated District 10 Rep. Gene Abdallah in the Republican primary on June 5 and defeated Richard Schriever (D) in the general election on November 6, 2012.
|South Dakota State Senate, District 6, General Election, 2012|
|South Dakota State Senate District 6 Republican Primary, 2012|
Comprehensive donor information for Ernie Otten is available dating back to 2012. Based on available campaign finance records, Ernie Otten raised a total of $6,814 during that time period. This information was last updated on September 26, 2013.
|Ernie Otten's Campaign Contribution History|
|2012||South Dakota State Senate, District 6||$6,814|
|Grand Total Raised||$6,814|
2012Ernie Otten won election to the South Dakota State Senate in 2012. During that election cycle, Ernie Otten raised a total of $6,814.
|South Dakota State Senate 2012 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Ernie Otten's campaign in 2012|
|National Association for Gun Rights||$1,500|
|Otten Jr, Ernie||$304|
|Total Raised in 2012||$6,814|
|Source:Follow the Money|
Legislative scorecards are used to evaluate elected public officials based on voting record. Some scorecards are created by political advocacy groups with a focus on specific issues, while others are developed by newspapers and are broad in scope. Scorecards are meant to be used as a tool for voters to have a quick picture of whether their views align with a particular legislator's record.
Because scorecards can be specific to particular issues or general to a state’s legislative term, for example, each report should be considered on its own merits. Each entity that publishes these reports uses different methodologies and definitions for the terms used.
Please see our writing guidelines if you would like to add results from an individual scorecard to this legislator's profile.
In 2014, the 89th South Dakota State Legislature was in session from January 14 to March 31.
- South Dakota Right to Life: 2013-2014 Pro-life Legislative Ratings
- Legislators are scored based on their votes relating to the issue of abortions.
In 2013, the 88th South Dakota State Legislature was in session from January 8 to March 25.
- South Dakota Freedom Coalition: South Dakota Freedom Index 2013
- Legislators are scored based on their votes on the "top ten" issues affecting your freedom.
Otten lives with his wife Betty in Tea, SD.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "Ernie + Otten + South + Dakota + Senate"
- All stories may not be relevant to this legislator due to the nature of the search engine.
- South Dakota State Legislature
- South Dakota State Senate
- South Dakota Senate Committees
- South Dakota Joint Committees
- South Dakota State Senate District 6
- Official campaign website
- Sen. Otten's website
- Profile from Open States
- Ernie Otten on Facebook
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign contributions via Follow the Money: 2012
- South Dakota Secretary of State, "Primary Election - Official Results," accessed June 4, 2014
- South Dakota Secretary of State, "Official General Election Results - November 4, 2014," accessed November 12, 2014
- South Dakota Secretary of State, "Current Candidates for Primary Election," accessed May 2, 2014
- Office of the South Dakota Secretary of State, "2012 Primary Election Candidate List," accessed April 9, 2012
- South Dakota Secretary of State, "Official Primary Results," June 12, 2012
- followthemoney.org, "Otten Jr, Ernie," accessed September 26, 2013
Arthur Fryslie (R)
|South Dakota House of Representatives District 6
| Succeeded by|