For status updates, visit lucyburns.org.
Ballotpedia's coverage of elections held on March 3, 2015, was limited. Select races were covered live, and all results will be added once the merger is complete.
Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|California State Assembly|
He is credited with the authorship of California's AB 32, the "Global Warming Solutions Act of 2006".
Nunez comes under scrutiny
As the early 2008 battle over term limits heated up, Nunez came under scrutiny, with the Los Angeles Times reporting in October 2007 that Núñez had spent tens of thousands of dollars of campaign money personal expenses, such as $1800 for a meal at a Parisian restaurant and $5000 for wine from Bordeaux.
Esteban Núñez is a son of Fabian. Estaban received a 16-year voluntary manslaughter sentence after killing Luis Santos, a 22-year-old student at San Diego Mesa College.
In one of his last acts in office, then-Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger commuted Esteban's 16-year sentence to seven years. Schwarzegger, however, did not notify the victim's family of this commutation. Under Marsy's Law, Schwarzenegger was required to provide that notice. Since he did not, the victim's family sued the State of California to overturn the commutation.
Nunez said, "When you're dealing with a district attorney, like we did in San Diego, who clearly has aspirations and has always had aspirations for higher office, the approach that they took to my son's case and particularly to him - irrespective of the facts of the actual case - they picked on my son from day one."
Fred Santos, father of the victim, said, "His son pled guilty in court for killing my son. This politician got together with another politician and overruled and reduced the sentence."
In 2007, Governing magazine named Núñez as one of nine "Public Officials of the Year" for his success "as the bridge between a Republican governor and a strongly liberal majority Democratic caucus." Other honorees included Houston Mayor Bill White and Washington Governor Christine Gregoire. Each year since 1994, Governing has selected a handful of state and local officials to honor for standout job performance. The Public Officials of the Year program "recognizes leaders from state, city and county government who exemplify the ideals of public service."
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "Fabian + Nunez + California + Assembly"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- California State Legislature
- California State Assembly
- California Assembly Committees
- California state legislative districts
- California Secretary of State, "Campaign Finance:Statement of Intention," accessed November 27, 2012
- Los Angeles Times, "Mr. Nuñez, who are you wining and dining?," October 10, 2010
- San Francisco Chronicle, "Fabian Núñez's words enrage slain man's family," July 12, 2011
- Alan Greenblatt, Governing, "Policy Fulcrum," 2007
- Governing, "GOVERNING Announces 2012 Public Officials of the Year," October 19, 2012