Fairfield City School District, Ohio
|Fairfield City School District|
|Number of schools:||11|
|Website:||School Home Page|
|Board of Education|
|Board president:||Jerome Kearns|
About the district
Fairfield outperforms the rest of Ohio in terms of higher education attainment, median income and poverty rate. The 2010 U.S. Census found that 24.6% of Fairfield residents over 25 years old held undergraduate degrees compared to a 24.5% rate for the state of Ohio. Fairfield had a median income of $54,581 in 2010 compared to $48,071 for Ohio. The poverty rate for Fairfield was 8.7% in 2010 compared to an 14.8% rate for the rest of the state.
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin, not a race. Therefore, the Census allows citizens to report both their race and that they are from a "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin simultaneously. As a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table will exceed 100 percent. Each column will add up to 100 percent after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages, although rounding by the Census Bureau may make the total one or two tenths off from being exactly 100 percent.
The current Superintendent of Fairfield City School District is Paul Otten. He assumed office in August 2011 to replace Cathy Milligan. Otten had worked as a teacher, principal and assistant superintendent in the 14 years prior to this appointment.
The Fairfield School Board consists of five members who are elected at-large to four-year terms. The district reimburses travel expenses for members attending approved conferences and training sessions.
|Fairfield School Board|
|Thomas Y. Heisler||2017|
School board elections
Members of the Fairfield School Board are elected at-large to four-year terms on a staggered basis. Three seats were up for election on November 5, 2013 and two seats will be on the ballot on November 3, 2015.
The table below displays the budget for Fairfield City School District:
|Expenditures by Category|
|School Year||Staff Expenses||Student Services||Operational Expenses||Debt Service||Other||Budget Total|
|Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget|
Teachers in the Franklin City School District earn annual salaries based on years on the job as well as educational achievement. The district pays a minimum annual salary of $33,592 for teachers with Bachelor's degrees and $38,127 for Master's holders. The 2011-2012 salary schedule capped salaries at $56,703 for Bachelor's holders and $71,383 for teachers with Master's degrees. The maximum salary caps annual pay increases after 30 years of service in the district.
Schools in Fairfield City
Fairfield City School District operates 11 K-12 schools listed below in alphabetical order:
|Fairfield City Schools|
|Senior High School|
The Ohio Department of Education issues an annual report card for each district based on scores from the Ohio Achievement Assessments. This testing process assesses the proficiency of students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and mathematics. Students in grades 10 and 11 complete the Ohio Graduation Test to not only assess proficiency but also demonstrate readiness for postgraduate life.
Fairfield City Schools received a B on the state's Performance Index and an A in the Indicators Met section. The Ohio Department of Education found that 83.5% of students qualified as Proficient or higher. The district met proficiency levels in 91.7% of performance indicators from grades 3 through 11. The following tables detail results from the Performance Index and Indicators Met sections in the 2012-2013 district report card.
|Performance Index, 2012-2013|
|Performance level||Percentage of students (%)|
- Fairfield City School District elections (2013)
- Ohio school districts
- List of school districts in Ohio
- U.S. Census, "Quick Facts: Fairfield," accessed September 17, 2013
- Butler County Board of Elections, "Archives," accessed September 17, 2013
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014
- Fox 19, "Fairfield City Schools names new superintendent," January 7, 2011
- Fairfield City School District, "Board Policies," accessed September 18, 2013
- Fairfield City School District, "Five Year Forecast October 2014," accessed December 15, 2014
- Ohio Education Association, "Salary Data since 2001," accessed September 17, 2013
- Fairfield City Schools, "Schools," accessed September 17, 2013
- Ohio Department of Education, "FAQs," accessed September 10, 2013
- Ohio Department of Education, "Ohio Graduation Test," accessed September 10, 2013
- Ohio Department of Education, "2012-2013 Report Card for Fairfield City Schools," accessed September 17, 2013