Federal Way Public Schools, Washington
|Federal Way Public Schools|
|Federal Way, Washington|
|Number of schools:||37|
|Website:||School Home Page|
|Board of Education|
|Board president:||Tony Moore|
- 1 About the district
- 2 Superintendent
- 3 School board
- 4 Budget
- 5 Teacher salaries
- 6 Schools in district
- 7 Academic performance
- 8 Contact information
- 9 Website evaluation
- 10 External links
- 11 References
About the district
Federal Way lagged behind state averages for higher education achievement, median income and poverty. The percentage of city residents over 25 years old with undergraduate degrees (25.4%) fell below the state average (31.4%). The 2010 U.S. Census calculated Federal Way's median income at $55,846 while the state median income was $58,890. Federal Way had a poverty rate of 15.4% in the 2010 U.S. Census while the state rate was 12.5%.
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin, not a race. Therefore, the Census allows citizens to report both their race and that they are from a "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin simultaneously. As a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table will exceed 100 percent. Each column will add up to 100 percent after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages.
The current Superintendent of Federal Way Public Schools is Rob Neu. He has served in the position since his appointment in 2010. Neu previously served as the Superintendent of Waterford School District in Michigan for three years. On May 28, 2013, the Federal Way Board of Education approved an annual salary of $240,000 for Neu for the 2013-2014 school year.
The Federal Way Board of Education consists of five members elected to four-year terms. Members represent geographic districts but are selected by citywide votes. Each member can be compensated $50 per day for district matters with maximum compensation of $4,800 per year.
|Federal Way Board of Education|
|Member||District||Assumed Office||Term Ends|
|Geoffery Z. McAnalloy||1||2013||2017|
School board elections
Members of the School Board are elected to four-year terms on a staggered basis. Two seats on the board were up for election on November 5, 2013 while three seats will be on the ballot on November 3, 2015.
The Federal Way Public School District's budget is published on its website.
|Expenditures by Category|
|School Year||Staff Expenses||Student Services||Operational Expenses||Debt Service||Other||Budget Total|
|Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget|
Federal Way Public Schools employed 1,239 K-12 teachers during the 2012-2013 school year. Teacher salaries are categorized based on higher education achievement, professional development and years of service. A teacher with a Bachelor's degree can earn higher salaries by pursuing graduate courses with raises at 15, 30, 45, 90 and 135 quarter credits. The current schedule also creates higher starting and maximum salaries for teachers with graduate degrees. The following table details the salary schedule for the 2012-2013 school year:
|Degree level||Minimum salary ($)||Maximum salary ($)|
Teachers in Federal Way Public Schools are represented by the Federal Way Education Association (FWEA). The current president of the FWEA is Jason Brown.
Schools in district
The district served 21,347 K-12 students during the 2012-2013 school year. The district experienced a 1.9% decrease in enrollment between 2008 and 2012. The following chart details enrollment in the district between 2008 and 2012:
|Year||Enrollment||Year-to-year change (%)|
Federal Way Public Schools operates 37 K-12 schools listed below in alphabetical order:
|Federal Way Public Schools|
|Adelaide Elementary School|
|Brigadoon Elementary School|
|Camelot Elementary School|
|Career Academy at Truman|
|Decatur High School|
|Enterprise Elementary School|
|Federal Way High School|
|Federal Way Public Academy|
|Green Gables Elementary School|
|Illahee Middle School|
|Kilo Middle School|
|Lake Dolloff Elementary School|
|Lake Grove Elementary School|
|Lakeland Elementary School|
|Lakota Middle School|
|Mark Twain Elementary School|
|Meredith Hill Elementary School|
|Mirror Lake Elementary School|
|Nautilus Elementary School|
|Olympic View Elementary School|
|Panther Lake Elementary School|
|Rainier View Elementary School|
|Sacajawea Middle School|
|Saghalie Middle School|
|Sherwood Forest Elementary School|
|Silver Lake Elementary School|
|Sequoyah Middle School|
|Star Lake Elementary School|
|Sunnycrest Elementary School|
|Thomas Jefferson High School|
|Todd Beamer High School|
|Totem Middle School|
|Twin Lakes Elementary School|
|Valhalla Elementary School|
|Wildwood Elementary School|
|Woodmont Elementary School|
The Washington Office of the Superintendent of Public Instruction published a state report card for 2011-2012 assessing subject proficiency levels and year-to-year progress for each district. This report card relies on data from the Measurements of Student Progress (MSP) and High School Proficiency Exam (HSPE) to determine if each district meets Annual Yearly Progress (AYP) goals in reading and math. The goal for each district is to meet proficiency goals at all grade levels and student demographics by the 2013-2014 school year.
Federal Way Public Schools met the state goal of 95% participation across all grade levels. The district did not meet AYP goals for reading at the elementary school level and failed to meet AYP math and reading scores among middle school students.
|Student Proficiency Levels, 2011-2012|
|Grade||Reading (%)||Math (%)|
Adequate Yearly Progress
|AYP Achievement, 2011-2012|
|Grade||Meet Reading AYP?||Meet Math AYP?|
|Transparency grading process|
- Main article: Evaluation of Washington school district websites
Last rated on May 15, 2012.
- Administrative Officials
- Officials are listed with contact information.]</ref>
- Elected Officials
- Board members are listed with contact information.
- Meeting dates, agendas, minutes, and video are posted.
- Collective bargaining agreements and salary schedules are available.
- Public Records
- Public records policy is posted.
- Tax levy information is posted.
- Academic performance is noted.
- Background Checks
- Background check policy is provided.
- Vendor contracts and bids are not posted.
- Public Records
- Request form and contact information not available.
- Audits are not posted.
- Budgets are not available.
- Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction, "Student Enrollment Cohort Projections," accessed August 9, 2013
- Federal Way Public Schools, "Timeline," accessed August 9, 2013
- U.S. Census, "Quick Facts: Federal Way," accessed August 9, 2013
- King County Elections, "Election Archive," accessed August 9, 2013
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014
- Federal Way Mirror, "FWPS Superintendent Rob Neu receives pay raise," August 2, 2013
- Federal Way Public Schools, "Board of Education," accessed August 9, 2013
- Federal Way Public Schools, "Summary of General Fund Budget," accessed December 3, 2013
- Federal Way Public Schools, "Bargaining Agreements and Salary Schedules," accessed August 12, 2013
- Federal Way Education Association, "Executive Board," accessed August 12, 2013
- Federal Way Public Schools, "School Profiles," accessed August 12, 2013
- Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction, "Washington State Report Card," accessed August 9, 2013
- Federal Way Public Schools, "Program Directory," accessed August 12, 2013
- Federal Way Public Schools, "Public Access to District Records," accessed August 12, 2013
- Federal Way Public Schools, "Levy Information," accessed August 12, 2013
- Federal Way Public Schools, "Assessment," accessed August 12, 2013
- Federal Way Public Schools, "Disclosures and Background Checks," accessed August 12, 2013