Filing deadline report: Busy primary season in South Carolina
Columbia, South Carolina: Nine state executive positions are up for election in 2014 in the state of South Carolina: governor, lieutenant governor, attorney general, secretary of state, treasurer, comptroller general, superintendent of education, commissioner of agriculture and adjutant general.
The primary election is scheduled for June 10, 2014. South Carolina is one of 14 states that uses an open primary system, in which registered voters do not have to be members of a party to vote in that party's primary.
- Governor Nikki Haley
- Attorney General Michael Alan Wilson
- Secretary of State Mark Hammond
- Treasurer Curtis Loftis, Jr.
- Comptroller Richard Eckstrom
- Agriculture Commissioner Hugh Weathers
- Adjutant General Robert E. Livingston, Jr.
On Sunday, March 30, the filing period for primary candidates and candidates for nonpartisan offices came to a close. The following list of candidates is current as of March 31, 2014.
A total of 39 candidates filed for the 9 offices - 25 Republicans, 9 Democrats, 2 from the United Citizens Party, 1 Libertarian and 2 other independents.
Secretary of State
- South Carolina elections, 2014
- South Carolina gubernatorial election, 2014
- South Carolina Lieutenant Gubernatorial election, 2014
- South Carolina attorney general election, 2014
- South Carolina secretary of state election, 2014
- South Carolina down ballot state executive elections, 2014
- National Conference of State Legislatures Website, "State Primary Election Types," accessed January 6, 2014
- Fair Vote, "Congressional and Presidential Primaries: Open, Closed, Semi-Closed, and 'Top Two,'" accessed January 6, 2014
- Ballotpedia research conducted December 26, 2013 through January 3, 2014 researching and analyzing various state websites and codes.
- Lexington County Chronicle and The Dispatch-News, "Will Governor Haley survive 2014 gubernatorial race?" August 16, 2012
- The Associated Press via MyrtleBeachOnline, "Gov Haley names co-chairs for possible run in 2014," February 19, 2013
- South Carolina Election Commission, "Candidate Tracking," March 31, 2014
- The State, "Libertarian joins SC governor’s race," March 17, 2014
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
Cite error: Invalid
- The State, "Sellers to run for lieutenant governor," June 4, 2014
- WISTV.com, "Bakari Sellers forms committee for lt. gov. run," June 6, 2013
- GoUpstate, "Retired Charleston developer to run for lieutenant governor," October 15, 2013
- South Carolina Election Commission, "Candidate Tracking," March 27, 2014
- The State, "ELECTION 2014: Parnell Diggs to run for Attorney General," January 22, 2014
- The State, "Democratic political operative to challenge Hammond for SC secretary of state," February 18, 2014
- The State, "ELECTION 2014 (updated): Who's filed for statewide, State House, Congressional offices," March 27, 2014
- The Island Packet, "Former Zais employee to seek Democratic nomination for state schools chief," September 23, 2013
- WISTV, "Rep. Patrick running for state superintendent," January 22, 2014
- WISTV, "Another Republican announces run for SC Education Superintendent," January 22, 2014
- WISTV, "2nd Republican jumps into SC superintendent's race," January 22, 2014
- The Post and Courier, "Another contender jumps into the race for Superintendent of Education," February 7, 2014
- The State, "Exclusive: Sally Atwater, widow of GOP operative, to run for SC education chief," February 7, 2014
- GoUpstate, "Mick Zais' deputy to enter GOP race," February 7, 2014