Filing deadline report: No contested primaries in North Dakota
Bismarck, North Dakota: Six state executive positions are up for election in 2014 in the state of North Dakota: attorney general, secretary of state, tax commissioner, commissioner of agriculture and two seats on the public services commission.
One of the public services commission seats is subject to a special election. The incumbent, Commissioner Julie Fedorchak, is running to fill the remaining two years of the unexpired term.
The primary election is scheduled for June 10, 2014. South Carolina is one of 14 states that uses an open primary system, in which registered voters do not have to be members of a party to vote in that party's primary.
All six incumbents are running. They are:
- Attorney General Wayne Stenehjem
- Secretary of State Al Jaeger
- Agriculture Commissioner Doug Goehring
- Tax Commissioner Ryan Rauschenberger
- Public Services Commissioner Brian Kalk
- Public Services Commissioner Julie Fedorchak
On Monday, April 7, the filing period came to a close. The following list of candidates is current as of April 9, 2014.
A total of 14 candidates filed for the 6 offices - 6 Republicans, 6 Democrats and 2 Libertarians.
Secretary of State
Commissioner of Agriculture
Public Services Commissioner
Public Services Commissioner Special
- North Dakota elections, 2014
- North Dakota attorney general election, 2014
- North Dakota secretary of state election, 2014
- North Dakota down ballot state executive elections, 2014
- National Conference of State Legislatures Website, "State Primary Election Types," accessed January 6, 2014
- Fair Vote, "Congressional and Presidential Primaries: Open, Closed, Semi-Closed, and 'Top Two,'" accessed January 6, 2014
- Ballotpedia research conducted December 26, 2013, through January 3, 2014, researching and analyzing various state websites and codes.
- Fargo-Moorhead Forum, "Democratic candidate says ND attorney general's office needs 'fresh perspective'," March 24, 2014
- The Bismarck Tribune, "Fairfield and Jaeger quickly disagree," March 27, 2014
- North Dakota Libertarian Party, "2014 candidates," accessed December 16, 2013
- Farm and Ranch Guide, "Ryan Taylor outlines ag priorities," March 17, 2014
- Bismark Tribune, "Candidates announce for state tax commissioner's race," February 11, 2014
- North Dakota Secretary of State, "2014 Primary Election Contest/Candidate List," April 9, 2014