Filing deadline report: Oregon Governor race heats up
The primary election is scheduled for May 20, 2014. Oregon is one of 12 states to use a strictly closed primary process, in which the selection of a party's candidates in an election is limited to registered party members.
Both incumbents are seeking re-election. They are:
Yesterday, March 11, the filing period for primary candidates and candidates for nonpartisan offices came to a close. The following list of candidates is current as of March 12, 2014.
A total of 9 candidates filed for the 2 offices - 6 Republicans, 2 Democrats and 1 officially nonpartisan.
- Oregon elections, 2014
- Oregon gubernatorial election, 2014
- Oregon down ballot state executive elections, 2014
- National Conference of State Legislatures Website, "State Primary Election Types," accessed January 6, 2014
- Fair Vote, "Congressional and Presidential Primaries: Open, Closed, Semi-Closed, and 'Top Two,'" accessed January 6, 2014
- Ballotpedia research conducted December 26, 2013, through January 3, 2014, researching and analyzing various state websites and codes.
- The Oregonian, "Election 2014: Some surprises on the last day to file for Oregon primary," March 12, 2014
- Oregon Live, "Oregon Rep. Dennis Richardson announces run for governor," July 24, 2013
- Oregon Secretary of State, "Candidate Information," January 10, 2014
- The Oregonian, "Portland businessman becomes latest to join growing group of Republican candidates for governor," January 14, 2014
- The Statesman-Journal, "A complete list of primary election races for the city, county and state," March 12, 2014
- The Oregonian, "Labor Commissioner Brad Avakian starts fundraising for 2014 re-election campaign," January 7, 2014