Filing deadline report: Primaries in race for South Dakota Governor
Pierre, South Dakota: Eight state executive positions are up for election in 2014 in the state of South Dakota. Only the governor race will have a primary, for which four candidates filed yesterday. The nominees for the other state executive positions will be decided at the party conventions.
The primary election is scheduled for June 3, 2014. South Dakota is one of 21 states with a mixed primary system. Parties decide who may vote. Registered Democrats and unaffiliated voters may vote in the Democratic primary. Only registered Republicans may vote in the Republican primary.
The incumbent is seeking re-election. He is:
Yesterday, March 25, the filing period for primary candidates came to a close. The following list of candidates is current as of March 26, 2014.
A total of 4 candidates filed for the office - 2 Republicans and 2 Democrats.
- Dennis Daugaard - Incumbent
- Lora Hubbel - Former state representative
- Joe Lowe - Former director of the state Wildland Fire Suppression Division
- Susan Wismer - State representative
- South Dakota Secretary of State Website, "Registration & Voting," accessed January 3,2014
- Argus Leader, "Conservative Hubbel prepares challenge to Daugaard," October 16, 2013
- Miami Herald, "Wildfire specialist announces run for SD governor," December 2, 2013
- South Dakota Secretary of State: Elections, "Election Candidates," March 26, 2014