Filing report: Small group of state executive hopefuls so far in Indiana
Indiana is one of 21 states with a mixed primary system. Voters are not required to register with a party, but the ballot they get depends on which party they have voted for most often in the past. The primary election is scheduled for May 6, 2014.
However, this does not concern any of the three state-row seats mentioned earlier: In Indiana, both major parties conduct statewide primary conventions to nominate candidates for all elected executive offices, with the exception of governor. The Democratic primary convention took place May 31, 2014, with the filing deadline set for May 23, 2014. The Republican Party will hold its convention the following week, on June 6-7.
Of the three incumbents, two - Secretary of State Connie Lawson (R) and Auditor Suzanne Crouch (R) - are seeking re-election. The third incumbent, Treasurer Richard Mourdock (R), is barred by term limits from running again in 2014.
So far, a total of five Republicans and two Democrats have filed for the three offices.
Secretary of State
- Indiana elections, 2014
- Indiana secretary of state election, 2014
- Indiana down ballot state executive elections, 2014
- Indiana state executive official elections, 2014
- Indiana Code, "Section 3-10-1-6," accessed January 3, 2014
- Indiana Code, IC 3-8-4-1, accessed May 1, 2012
- Indiana Secretary of State, "2014 Democratic Convention Plan," November 18, 2014
- Indiana Republican Party, "Delegate Portal," accessed February 10, 2014
- Wish TV, "Lawson to run for secretary of state in 2014," April 13, 2012
- WishTV.com, "2014 Race for Secretary of State taking shape," June 6, 2013
- Seybold for Indiana Campaign Facebook Page, "Timeline," accessed October 3, 2013
- Don Bates for Treasurer 2014 Official campaign website, "Homepage," accessed November 20, 2013
- Kelly Mitchell for Treasurer 2014 Official campaign website, "Homepage," accessed November 20, 2013
- WISHTV.com, "CPA Michael Claytor running for auditor," September 11, 2013