Florida's 12th Congressional District elections, 2012
November 6, 2012
August 14, 2012
Dennis A. Ross
|Candidate Filing Deadline||Primary Election||General Election|
Primary: Florida is one of 21 states to use a strictly closed primary system.
- See also: Florida elections, 2012
This was the first election which used new district maps based on 2010 Census data. Florida's 12th Congressional District is located in western Florida and includes all of Pasco County, as well as parts of Pinellas and Hillsborough counties.
General election candidates
August 14, 2012, primary results
|U.S. House, Florida District 12 General Election, 2012|
|Republican||Gus Bilirakis Incumbent||63.5%||209,604|
|Democratic||Jonathan Michael Snow||32.9%||108,770|
|Independent||Paul Sidney Elliot||1.5%||4,915|
|Source: Florida Secretary of State "Official Election Results, 2012 General Election"|
Blue vs. Red
Possible race ratings are:
Florida's 12th District is a solidly Republican district.
In June 2012, Sabato's Crystal Ball rated Florida's 12th as a solidly Republican district.
Impact of redistricting
- See also: Redistricting in Florida
Prior to the 2012 redistricting, Florida's 12th Congressional District encompassed much of Polk County, as well as parts of rural and suburban east Hillsborough County and a small piece of western Osceola County. In the redistricting process the 12th District was redrawn to no longer include Polk County. It is now all of Pasco County, as well as parts of Pinellas and Hillsborough counties.
- 38 percent from the 5th Congressional District
- 58 percent from the 9th Congressional District
- 4 percent from the 10th Congressional District
- 1 percent from the 11th Congressional District
FairVote's Monopoly Politics 2012 study
- See also: FairVote's Monopoly Politics 2012
In 2012, FairVote did a study on partisanship in the congressional districts, giving each a percentage ranking (D/R) based on the new 2012 maps and comparing that to the old 2010 maps. Florida's 12th District's partisanship was unaffected by redistricting.
- 2012: 44D / 56R
- 2010: 44D / 56R
Cook Political Report's PVI
In 2012, Cook Political Report released its updated figures on the Partisan Voter Index, which measures each congressional district's partisanship relative to the rest of the country. Florida's 12th Congressional District has a PVI of R+6, which is the 163rd most Republican district in the country. In 2008, this district was won by John McCain (R), 53-47 percent over Barack Obama (D). In 2004, George W. Bush (R) won the district 57-43 percent over John Kerry (D).
|Candidate Ballot Access|
|Find detailed information on ballot access requirements in all 50 states and Washington D.C.|
|U.S. House, Florida District 12 General Election, 2010|
|Republican||Dennis A. Ross||48.1%||102,704|
|Tea Party||Randy Wilkinson||10.7%||22,857|
- United States House of Representatives elections in Florida, 2012
- United States House of Representatives elections, 2012
- United States Senate elections in Florida, 2012
- Gus M. Bilirakis' Campaign Website
- Jonathan Michael Snow's Campaign Website
- John Russell's Campaign Website
- News article about Florida's 12th District
- Facebook page for Florida's 12th Congressional District
- Updated Florida Congressional Districts List
- Florida 2012 Redistricting Map
- ABC News, "2012 General Election Results," accessed November 6, 2012
- Florida Department of State, "Register to Vote," accessed April 25, 2012
- Florida 2012 Redistricting Map, "Map" accessed July 5, 2012
- Examiner "Snow believes it is time for change in Florida's 12th Congressional District" accessed May 29, 2012
- Cook Political Report "U.S. House-Florida" accessed March 29, 2012
- Florida Department of Elections "Candidate List 2012" accessed May 6, 2012
- Center for Politics, "2012 House Ratings," Updated June 27, 2012
- Roll Call, "Race Ratings: Florida Offers Democrats Chances at Pickups" accessed February 28, 2012
- Moonshadow Mobile's CensusViewer, "Florida's congressional districts 2001-2011 comparison"
- Labels & Lists, "VoterMapping software voter counts"
- "2011 Redistricting and 2012 Elections in Florida," September 2012
- Cook Political Report, "Partisan Voting Index Districts of the 113th Congress: 2004 & 2008" accessed October 2012
- U.S. Congress House Clerk, "Statistics of the Congressional Election of November 2, 2010"