Florida's 16th Congressional District elections, 2012
November 6, 2012
August 14, 2012
Thomas J. Rooney
|Candidate Filing Deadline||Primary Election||General Election|
Primary: Florida is one of 21 states to use a strictly closed primary system.
- See also: Florida elections, 2012
This was the first election which used new district maps based on 2010 Census data. Florida's 16th Congressional District is located in west central Florida and includes all of Sarasota county, and part of Manatee county.
General election candidates
August 14, 2012, primary results
|U.S. House, Florida District 16 General Election, 2012|
|Republican||Vern Buchanan Incumbent||53.6%||187,147|
|Source: Florida Secretary of State "Official Election Results, 2012 General Election"|
Florida's 16th District was included in the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee's "Red to Blue List," which identified districts that the organization specifically targeted to flip from Republican to Democratic control.
Blue vs. Red
Possible race ratings are:
Florida's 16th District is a leaning Republican district.
In June 2012, Sabato's Crystal Ball rated Florida's 16th as a leaning Republican district.
Florida's 16th was also considered to be Leaning Republican according to the New York Times race ratings.
Impact of redistricting
- See also: Redistricting in Florida
Prior to redistricting the 16th District stretched from the Gulf of Mexico to the Atlantic Coast and included parts of Charlotte, Glades, Hendry, Highlands, Okeechobee, St. Lucie, Martin, and Palm Beach counties. Also included within the district were Port Charlotte, Port St. Lucie, and Palm Beach.
FairVote's Monopoly Politics 2012 study
- See also: FairVote's Monopoly Politics 2012
In 2012, FairVote did a study on partisanship in the congressional districts, giving each a percentage ranking (D/R) based on the new 2012 maps and comparing that to the old 2010 maps. Florida's 16th District became more Democratic because of redistricting.
- 2012: 45D / 55R
- 2010: 44D / 56R
Cook Political Report's PVI
In 2012, Cook Political Report released its updated figures on the Partisan Voter Index, which measures each congressional district's partisanship relative to the rest of the country. Florida's 16th Congressional District has a PVI of R+5, which is the 189th most Republican district in the country. In 2008, this district was won by John McCain (R), 51-49 percent over Barack Obama (D). In 2004, George W. Bush (R) won the district 55-45 percent over John Kerry (D).
|Vern Buchanan (2012) Campaign Finance Reports|
|Report||Date Filed||Beginning Balance||Total Contributions|
for Reporting Period
|Expenditures||Cash on Hand|
|April Quarterly||April 15, 2012||$1,122,759.82||$484,332.21||$(133,893.41)||$1,473,198.62|
|July Quarterly||July 15, 2012||$1,473,198.62||$335,458.83||$(287,984.22)||$1,520,673.23|
According to an article on July 16, 2012, Buchanan raised more than $330,000 after April 1. However, almost half was spent on a required refund of past illegal campaign donations, payments to attorneys dealing with four federal investigations and expenses for other court-related expenses.
|Candidate Ballot Access|
|Find detailed information on ballot access requirements in all 50 states and Washington D.C.|
|U.S. House, Florida District 16 General Election, 2010|
|Republican||Thomas J. Rooney Incumbent||66.8%||162,285|
- United States House of Representatives elections in Florida, 2012
- United States House of Representatives elections, 2012
- United States Senate elections in Florida, 2012
- Keith Fitzgerald's Campaign Website
- Vern Buchanan's Campaign Website
- Updated Florida Congressional Districts List
- Florida 2012 Redistricting Map
- ABC News, "2012 General Election Results," accessed November 6, 2012
- Florida Department of State, "Register to Vote," accessed April 25, 2012
- The Miami Herald, "High-placed source: Allen West considering primary bid v. Tom Rooney" accessed December 3, 2011
- Florida 2012 Redistricting Map, "Map" accessed July 5, 2012
- The Florida Independent "Keith Fitzgerald officially announces he’s challenging Vern Buchanan" accessed February 14, 2012
- Bradenton Herald "Redistricting plan joins Manatee, Sarasota" accessed February 14, 2012
- DCCC, "Red to Blue 2012"
- Center for Politics, "2012 House Ratings," Updated June 27, 2012
- New York Times, "House Race Ratings," accessed August 7, 2012
- Moonshadow Mobile's CensusViewer, "Florida's congressional districts 2001-2011 comparison"
- Labels & Lists, "VoterMapping software voter counts"
- "2011 Redistricting and 2012 Elections in Florida," September 2012
- Cook Political Report, "Partisan Voting Index Districts of the 113th Congress: 2004 & 2008" accessed October 2012
- FEC Reports, "Vern Buchanan Summary Reports" accessed July 18, 2012
- FEC Reports, "April Quarterly" accessed July 18, 2012
- FEC Reports, "July Quarterly" accessed July 18, 2012
- Herald Tribune, "Buchanan legal expenses weigh on campaign funding" accessed July 18, 2012
- U.S. Congress House Clerk, "Statistics of the Congressional Election of November 2, 2010"