For status updates, visit lucyburns.org.
Ballotpedia's coverage of elections held on March 3, 2015, was limited. Select races were covered live, and all results will be added once the merger is complete.
Florida's 5th Congressional District elections, 2012
November 6, 2012
August 14, 2012
Richard B. Nugent
|Candidate Filing Deadline||Primary Election||General Election|
Primary: Florida is one of 21 states to use a strictly closed primary system.
- See also: Florida elections, 2012
This was the first election which used new district maps based on 2010 Census data. Florida's 5th Congressional District snakes vertically through northeastern Florida and includes portions of Duval, Caly, Putnam, Alachua, Marion, Lake, Seminole, and Orange counties.
General election candidates
August 14, 2012, primary results
|U.S. House, Florida District 5 General Election, 2012|
|Democratic||Corrine Brown Incumbent||70.8%||190,472|
|Independent||Bruce Ray Riggs||0%||3|
|Source: Florida Secretary of State "Official Election Results, 2012 General Election"|
Blue vs. Red
Possible race ratings are:
Florida's 5th District is a solidly Democratic district.
In June 2012, Sabato's Crystal Ball rated Florida's 5th as a solidly Democratic district.
Impact of redistricting
- See also: Redistricting in Florida
Prior to redistricting the 5th District comprised all of Citrus, Hernando, and Sumter counties and most of Lake, Levy, and Pasco counties and portions of Marion and Polk counties. The district also included northern suburbs of Tampa and western suburbs of Orlando.
- 80 percent from the 3rd Congressional District
- 1 percent from the 4th Congressional District
- 7 percent from the 6th Congressional District
- 2 percent from the 7th Congressional District
- 4 percent from the 8th Congressional District
- 5 percent from the 24th Congressional District
FairVote's Monopoly Politics 2012 study
- See also: FairVote's Monopoly Politics 2012
In 2012, FairVote did a study on partisanship in the congressional districts, giving each a percentage ranking (D/R) based on the new 2012 maps and comparing that to the old 2010 maps. Florida's 5th District became more Republican because of redistricting.
- 2012: 67D / 33R
- 2010: 70D / 30R
Cook Political Report's PVI
In 2012, Cook Political Report released its updated figures on the Partisan Voter Index, which measures each congressional district's partisanship relative to the rest of the country. Florida's 5th Congressional District has a PVI of D+16, which is the 66th most Democratic district in the country. In 2008, this district was won by Barack Obama (D), 71-29 percent over John McCain (R). In 2004, John Kerry (D) won the district 63-37 percent over George W. Bush (R).
|Candidate ballot access|
|Find detailed information on ballot access requirements in all 50 states and Washington D.C.|
|U.S. House, Florida District 5 General Election, 2010|
|Republican||Richard B. "Rich" Nugent||67.4%||208,815|
|Democratic||James "Jim" Piccillo||32.6%||100,858|
- United States House of Representatives elections in Florida, 2012
- United States House of Representatives elections, 2012
- United States Senate elections in Florida, 2012
- Eileen Fleming's Campaign Website
- John Russell's Campaign Website
- Leanne Kolb's Campaign Website
- Mike Yost's Campaign Website
- Corrine Brown's Campaign Website
- Updated Florida Congressional Districts List
- Florida 2012 Redistricting Map
- ABC News, "2012 General Election Results," accessed November 6, 2012
- Florida Department of State, "Register to Vote," accessed April 25, 2012
- Cook Political Report, "House Races-Florida" accessed March 29, 2012
- Florida 2012 Redistricting Map, "Map" accessed July 5, 2012
- Florida Department of Elections "Candidate List 2012" accessed May 6, 2012
- Center for Politics, "2012 House Ratings," Updated June 27, 2012
- Florida Times Union, "2 lawsuits follow Florida Senate's final passage of redistricting maps" accessed February 29, 2012
- Moonshadow Mobile's CensusViewer, "Florida's congressional districts 2001-2011 comparison"
- Labels & Lists, "VoterMapping software voter counts"
- "2011 Redistricting and 2012 Elections in Florida," September 2012
- Cook Political Report, "Partisan Voting Index Districts of the 113th Congress: 2004 & 2008" accessed October 2012
- U.S. Congress House Clerk, "Statistics of the Congressional Election of November 2, 2010," accessed March 28, 2013