Florida Bar Membership Requirement for County Judges, Amendment 6 (1966)
The Florida Bar Membership Requirement for County Judges Amendment, also known as Amendment 6, was a legislatively-referred constitutional amendment in Florida which was approved on the ballot on November 8, 1966.
|Florida Amendment 6 (1966)|
Election results via: Florida Secretary of State
Text of measure
The language that appeared on the ballot:
JUDICIAL, County Judges. Proposing an amendment to Article V, Section 7, adding Subsection (4), of the State Constitution providing that the Legislature may require County Judges to be a Member of the Florida Bar in counties by special acts subject to referendum; providing that such law shall not affect the term of office or the re-election of any County Judge holding office on the date of its enactment.
Section 7. County Judges’ Courts.
(4) Prescribed Qualification Authorized. The legislature may require by special act, subject to approval by referendum within the county, that the county judge of any county be a member of the Florida bar; provided such law shall not affect the term of office or the re-election of any county judge holding office on the date of its enactment who is not a member of the Florida bar.
Path to the ballot
- The amendment was placed on the ballot by House Joint Resolution 175 of 1965.
- The amendment was approved by the Governor on June 24, 1965.
- The amendment was filed with the Secretary of State on June 25, 1963.
- Tabulation of Official Votes Cast in the General Election (1966)
- Florida Amendments of the Election of 11-8-66
- Sample Ballot (in the Ocala Star-Banner, November 1, 1966)
- Florida Constitution Revision Commission, "Amendments, Election of 11-8-66"
- Ocala Star-Banner, "Automatic Voting Machine Sample Ballot," November 1, 1966
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.
State of Florida
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Chief Financial Officer | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Agriculture and Consumer Services | Commissioner of Insurance Regulation | Secretary of Environmental Protection | Director of Economic Opportunity | Chair of Public Service Commission |