Florida County Superintendents of Public Instruction, Amendment 2 (1966)
The Florida County Superintendents of Public Instruction Amendment, also known as Amendment 2, was a legislatively-referred constitutional amendment in Florida which was approved on the ballot on November 8, 1966.
|Florida Amendment 2 (1966)|
Election results via: Florida Secretary of State
Text of measure
The language that appeared on the ballot:
EDUCATION, Terms and Employment of Appointive Superintendents of Public Instruction. Proposing an amendment to Article VIII, Adding Section 6A of the State Constitution providing in counties authorized to appoint a Superintendent of Public Instruction, the Superintendent shall serve at the pleasure of the Board provided that the Board may enter into a contract of employment which shall not extend beyond the Thirtieth day of June in the year in which the terms of a majority of the Members of the Board shall expire; providing that the Superintendent shall not be commissioned by the Governor, but shall be required to file bond.
Section 6A. In those counties authorized to appoint a superintendent of public instruction under Article XII of the state constitution the superintendent shall serve at the pleasure of the board provided that the board may enter into a contract of employment with such appointed county superintendent which contract shall not extend beyond the thirtieth day of June in the year in which the terms of a majority of the members of the board of public instruction shall expire. The county superintendent shall not be commissioned by the governor but shall be required to file with the county board of public instruction a good and sufficient bond and in such sum and upon such conditions as the legislature by law shall prescribe for elective superintendents as provided by Section 7, Article VIII of the state constitution.
Path to the ballot
- The amendment was placed on the ballot by Senate Joint Resolution 221 of 1965.
- The amendment was filed with the Secretary of State on June 25, 1963.
- Tabulation of Official Votes Cast in the General Election (1966)
- Florida Amendments of the Election of 11-8-66
- Sample Ballot (in the Ocala Star-Banner, November 1, 1966)
- Florida Constitution Revision Commission, "Amendments, Election of 11-8-66"
- Ocala Star-Banner, "Automatic Voting Machine Sample Ballot," November 1, 1966
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.
State of Florida
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Chief Financial Officer | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Agriculture and Consumer Services | Commissioner of Insurance Regulation | Secretary of Environmental Protection | Director of Economic Opportunity | Chair of Public Service Commission |