Florida Elections Commission
The Florida Elections Commission is established as a separate budget entity within the Department of Legal Affairs. It is not subject to the control, supervision, or direction of the Department of Legal Affairs or the Attorney General in the performance of its duties. The Commission appoints an executive director who shall employ such staff as are necessary to adequately perform the functions of the Commission. The Commission's staff consists of the executive director, two attorneys, seven investigators, the Commission clerk, a business manager and an administrative assistant.
The Elections Commission is governed by a nine person board.
Selection of members
The Governor of Florida is responsible for nominating eight of the nine members except the Chairman. The Chairman of the Elections Commission is selected of a list three people recommended by the President of the Florida State Senate, Speaker of the Florida House of Representatives, and the respective minority leaders in all houses of the legislature. Every member on the Commission is given a four year term in which members are limited to two terms. No member can be selected if they were a party chairman or a elected official the year before their appointment.
Campaign finance discipline
If someone feels a person or committee violated Florida campaign finance law, the first step is to file a complaint with the Florida Elections Commission. It is up to the commission to fully investigate all complaints. If someone is found to be in violation of campaign finance law, in most cases a civil fine is imposed. All criminal complaints are referred to the District Attorney in the county where alleged violation happened.
- Florida Elections Commission official website
- Florida Secretary of State-Elections Division
- Florida Campaign Finance Laws
- Florida Electioneering Communications Organization Handbook
- Florida Political Committee Handbook
- Florida Campaign Finance Database
- Campaign Disclosure Project
- ↑ Florida Elections Commission "Description of Agency"
- ↑ Florida Election Commission "History"(See front page paragraph)
- ↑ Florida Elections Commission "Members"
- ↑ Florida Elections Commission "Description"(See Composition of the Commission)
- ↑ Florida Senate "Florida Campaign Finance Law"(Referenced Statue 106.25(4) Florida Statutes)
- ↑ Florida Senate "Florida Campaign Finance Law"((Referenced Statue 106.27(2)) Florida Statutes)
- ↑ Florida Senate "Florida Campaign Finance Law"(Referenced Statue 106.27(1)) Florida Statutes)
State of Florida
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Chief Financial Officer | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Agriculture and Consumer Services | Commissioner of Insurance Regulation | Secretary of Environmental Protection | Director of Economic Opportunity | Chair of Public Service Commission |